Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: High GPA, Low LSAT, Many Leadership Qualifications  (Read 2119 times)

antwan1st

• View Profile
High GPA, Low LSAT, Many Leadership Qualifications
« on: August 14, 2013, 08:31:44 AM »
I am applying to a  Capital, a 4 tier law school. My LSAC reported GPA is 3.68. I have great letter of recommendations and fraternal leadership experience (President of a business fraternity). Additionally, I survived a gunshot wound to the head as a child (conveyed in personal atatement as an adversity). The problem is my LSAT score is a 140. 21 credit hours and a soon to be born baby made it difficult for me to study for the LSAT, which I made clear in an addendum. What are my chances of getting into Capital Law?

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: High GPA, Low LSAT, Many Leadership Qualifications
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 11:19:14 AM »
Capital's median GPA/LSAT are 3.16/150. Although your GPA is higher, your LSAT is significantly below median. Your good GPA will definitely help, but law schools seem to give more weight to the LSAT. I would suggest re-taking the LSAT if you really want to go to law school.

21 credit hours and a soon to be born baby made it difficult for me to study for the LSAT, which I made clear in an addendum.

This should be a huge red flag for you. If you had a hard time preparing for the LSAT with school and a baby, you have to ask yourself how you'll do with law school exams and a baby. Law school exams make the LSAT look like a joke, and you'll have four or five of them every semester. I went to law school part time with kids, and it was very difficult.

Before you drop $30,000 or $40,000 on a year of law school, make sure that you are in a position where you can succeed. Law school is brutal, and you will not be given one inch of slack because you're dealing family stuff, or a job, etc. 

CA Law Dean

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes . . . law school is intentionally challenging.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 10:12:08 AM »
Antwan1st,
I would strongly, strongly second MFL 350's suggestion. Consider it from the admissions side of the desk . . . your 3.68 UGPA indicates that you have clearly demonstrated your academic ability to have a reasonable opportunity for success in law school . . . but your 140 . . . and reasons for not preparing for what is clearly known to be a critical element of law school selection . . . are huge, simply huge red flags that you are NOT in a position right now to tackle the rigors of law school. Properly prepare for the LSAT and law school . . . re-take and then apply.
Monterey College of Law
www.montereylaw.edu

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 10:45:31 AM »
Agree with all the posters be sure you know what you are getting into the LSAT is a cakewalk prepared to 1L and 1L is a cakewalk compared to the Bar Exam.

Many people say they are not good and taking standardized tests as an excuse for their LSAT score, but all law school consists of is standardized tests and to become a licensed attorney you have to pass a standardized test. So even if you are admitted to Capital be sure you have the ability to study and do well in law school.

Raising a child will not get any easier while you are in law school and as the posters above have indicted the LSAT is the easiest thing there on the law school journey. I am not saying the LSAT is easy, but it really weeds people out.

You might want to try retaking the LSAT and seeing how you do when properly studying if you really can't get over a 140-145 when putting a good faith effort in there is a good chance you will not perform well in law school or pass the bar exam.

I wish you the best, but law school is a 3 year 100,000+ investment and not something you should pursue lightly.

Good Luck whatever you decide.