Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Please help. Paranoid, worried, and not sure what to do.  (Read 6124 times)

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Please help. Paranoid, worried, and not sure what to do.
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 01:20:08 AM »
Your cumulative GPA is the one that will be primarily considered, since that's what is reported for statistical purposes. Regardless of what you majored in, where you went to college, or whether you had a rising grade trend, soft factors, etc., the vast majority of admissions decisions will be based on numbers, period.

There is nothing you can do about your GPA at this point, so focus your energy on the LSAT and don't look back. 

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 10:44:51 AM »
Agreed Maintain.

Soft Factors etc mean very little in the vast majority of situations. A B.A. in philosophy from UCLA is great, but it is not a page stopper.

For soft factors to matter you need to have done something extraordinary i.e. been in the NFL, a Navy Seal, Mayor of a City, etc, etc. As Maintain says there is little you can do about your GPA so don't worry about it and get that LSAT score. Based on your posts you I expect you will get at least a 150 and with above a 3.0 GPA you will be able to get into a law school somewhere. Once you are in your LSAT, UGPA, Soft Factors, etc mean nothing and you focus on getting through 1L.

chocolatesugar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 02:32:51 PM »
Dropped down to 153 DX

Debating if I should postpone....

Take in December instead

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 06:16:32 PM »
A couple of points:

First, it's not unusual to have most of your scores fall within a range of 4-5 points. You shouldn't expect that each PT will necessarily increase in score. For a multitude of reasons you may score higher on some than on others. You could just as easily score a 157 on your next attempt.

Second, most people do plateau within a range, and most people are disappointed with their range. It's just the way it is. Which leads me to the last point...

In my opinion (and this is only my opinion, feel free to ignore it) there isn't any point in postponing the LSAT unless you can specifically identify some reason that leads you to believe you will benefit from postponing. Most people think that postponement = more study time = higher score. That may or may not be true. If you didn't have time to adequately prepare, or something was holding you back, then maybe it makes sense to wait.

But if you worked hard, followed a schedule, gave it good faith effort then I'm not sure that going over the same material again will result in higher scores. This is only anecdotal, but it seems like most of the people I know who took the LSAT multiple times still scored with a fairly narrow range.

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2013, 12:53:20 AM »
Maintain offers solid advice.

The reality is you will never feel 100% ready for this test and you will have some lower and higher scores, but I have seen you posting on this board for awhile and if you postpone now another year will go by and life gets in the way.

If there is a specific reason such as a death in the family, car accident, injury, break-up with long term gf/bf then postpone, because if you postpone long enough of those real issues will come up. Stress is going to be there and if you want to attend law school it is something you have to deal with.

Trust me on your first law school final exam you will completely unprepared, but they are not postponing for it anybody. Once you get through three years of those exams you get to take the Bar Exam, which makes everything seem like a joke and again they are postponing that for anybody either.

Take the test unless as Maintain says there is a real reason to not do so, but simply being stressed out and not doing as well on practice exams is not a great reason.

However, it is your life and do what you think is best.

chocolatesugar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »
160 as of today...Test is on October 5th (I want a 170)

Postpone or not...

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 07:52:37 PM »
Unless you have scored 175+s in addition to that 160, a 170 is not going to realistically happen in a week.

As far as holding off until a later date... sadly the decision is going to be based on an honest conversation with yourself, not us.

If you honestly KNOW that you can score 10+ more points within two months, then go for it. Know that these 10 points will be far more difficult than the prior 10. Heck, if you can score over 6 points more (thats 2 standard deviations away from whatever your current average is), then it would be worth it.

If you feel yourself plateauing, that you would be lucky to score another 3 or 4 points by December... then there are two other options. Post-pone until Feb. or June and make sure you stay committed to the cause and apply early next cycle (understanding that you will probably only score a few more points)... OR... go for the test now.

As a side note, 160 is an amazing score. That is the 80th percentile. You have scored higher than 80 percent of college grads. This is an amazing feat! You will have several options with a 160, not to mention money from some schools. Will a 160 get you into Harvard?... probably not (although you never know - maybe your softs are just out of this world and you present them in the perfect way). But if the only reason you are taking the LSAT is to get into Harvard, then you may be taking the test for the wrong reasons.

Good luck my friend. :)

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 03:18:57 AM »
Great advice and as Miami states scoring a 160 puts you in a very elite category and is an accomplishment. You can continue putting off the LSAT in hopes of getting a perfect score, but odds are it will never get done.

One thing I notice in the actual practice of law is new attorney's over think everything trying to make the "perfect" brief, but it will never be perfect at some point you need to have action taken and file your papers. Do the best job you can, but you could spend 10 years trying to write the perfect Memo and nothing will get done or you can do the best job and file it. It will not be perfect, but you have to take action.

The same will happen in Law School and the Bar you will not get a perfect score on any of your finals odds are you the highest grade in the class will be an 85 or something out of 100. Then in the California Bar all you need is a 65 out of a 100 on the essays to pass. It is very hard to get a 65, but it just shows mistakes will be made and the LSAT is no different you are going to miss questions bottom line.

I really think you just need to take the test unless there is a compelling reason not to.

chocolatesugar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2013, 03:36:01 AM »
Great. I have two Ws. Long story....

Taking it in December, guys!

chocolatesugar

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2013, 07:55:08 PM »
It's over, I felt positive as I left the test room. I feel as though I did better then on my practice tests. (For the most part, I got through everything)