Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Please help. Paranoid, worried, and not sure what to do.  (Read 7325 times)

chocolatesugar

• View Profile
Re: Please help. Paranoid, worried, and not sure what to do.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 06:51:45 PM »
I'll keep updating on here. I'm going to take another home practice test on Thursday. (August 22nd) and a in class proctered exam on August 30th.

chocolatesugar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 08:26:10 PM »
Took another practice test today :)

(Using this thread for my progress)

Up to 155.

I nearly freaked out earlier though, when I first scored it, I accidentally mixed sections 3 and 4 and thought I got a horrible score (lower then my first diagnostic) but then I looked at what I punched in the computer again and saw that I graded it wrong.

chocolatesugar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 11:53:19 PM »
Oh god....has this happened to anyone? I took another practice test and dropped 7 points X_X down to 148.

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 12:24:09 AM »
Yup - just keep at it. Make sure to review your entire tests...

In the weeks before my LSAT, I had a 10 point difference between my bottom and top scores. I ended up scoring about in the middle of that range.

Also note that there is a 2 to 3 point standard deviation on each score. So, if you score a 150, you could have equally scored between 147 and 153. Your full range would probably be 145-155 (two standard deviations out).

Good luck!

chocolatesugar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 01:36:19 AM »
I think I know what explains. I usually take PTs with a fresh mind. I was studying (LSAT Stuff) for 2-3 hours prior to taking it.

chocolatesugar

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 05:30:40 PM »
Up to 157! In class proctored exam that included an experimental section.

chocolatesugar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 01:59:01 PM »
:(.

Got my LSAC GPA report...it's lower then I thought.
3.08- Cumalative
3.29- Degree...

I'm so worried. :(

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 06:19:37 PM »
It happens... but the GPA is a little more fuzzy than the LSAT. The lsat is standardized, thus it is a strong measure of your aptitude to succeed as a 1L in relation to the rest of the applicant pool.

The GPA, on the other hand, is a little more subjective. The GPA will be influenced by the difficulty of coursework, degree, university, grade inflation/deflation, etc.  Therefore, a 3.0 physics major from Harvard is not the same as a 4.0 basket weaving major from some small unknown school that has massive grade inflation.

If you feel that your GPA is not a true indicator of your academic potential, and you have an extremely consice, strong, and legitimate argument for that, I would consider writing a GPA Addendum for schools whose GPA average is above yours.

As a final note, there was a great mock admissions panel that Kaplan recently held. On the panel were the admission deans from several top 10 law schools (harvard, u penn, nyu, etc). They evaluated 4 different fake applicants for entry into a fake law school. The applicant they selected ended up having an LSAT score just under their average and a 2.9 GPA, far from their 3.8 something average GPA. The applicant had just shined so much in every other soft factor, and had taken so many difficult courses to off set that low GPA, that they felt drawn to pick that applicant.

Good luck!!

chocolatesugar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 12:36:36 AM »
Thanks. :)

I'm a philosophy major at UCLA.

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 12:42:46 AM »
The mock admissions item may have been staged as a way to encourage people to continue paying for Kaplan LSAT takers, but I may be to cynical.

With that Chocosugar again 3.08-3.29 doesn't really make a difference and what you need to do is focus on your LSAT score. Once you have a GPA and LSAT you can realistically assess your options.

I was a 0L once myself and stressed about every little detail, but it really just comes down to your numbers. If you have the drive to get into an ABA law school you can succeed as an attorney just take the LSAT get admitted and go onto a successful legal career.