Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: study plan  (Read 1739 times)

sandclock

• View Profile
    • Email
study plan
« on: July 31, 2013, 05:10:15 PM »
thanks!

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
You can buy all those things, but there is no need to rush either you could simply take the December LSAT and have more time to prepare. The test isn't going anywhere and you can apply to schools you are interested in now and report you are taking the December LSAT to ensure you will have a spot for Fall 2014.

At least that was the situation when I was applying, but you may want to check with individual schools.

As for your cold tests those are great, but they really don't mean anything. Everyone I meet seems to get 170+ on their practice tests, but that does seem happen on the real test day. This is because the real test is a lot more presure than a practice, but it will be awesome if you get a 170+ I am rooting for you, but don't be discouraged if you don't get into Harvard.

However, if you just started 10 days ago and feel rushed you may want to fill out the apps and give you time adequate time to prepare. Just my two cents though.

LSAT Blog

• View Profile
    • LSAT Blog
The bible LG book is WAY better than the Barron's book.  The Barron's book is awful.

On my website, I have a variety of free and low-cost study plans for several different periods of time, including a free 2-month study plan.

Assuming your cold tests were taken under strict and realistic timed conditions, those are great scores. Keep at it!

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
First off, if you haven't dived into LSAT Blog's website... do it, and do it now! Great advice and helped me a lot...

Second off, I did self study as well. Here is my review on the books I used, take what you will from it:

1) Princeton Review: yuck!!! just... no... stay away from it 100%...

2) Kaplan: My favorite - it lays out a very methodical approach to tackling the test and elaborates on that method in a very positive and uplifting way.

3) Powerscore: Very good material... however, a bit overkill. Kaplan groups things and elaborates, but in a more balanced way. Powerscore goes a bit too far for my taste. That being said, they certainly have great perspectives on things. I ended up basing my approach on Kaplan and supplemented it with tips, and tid-bits from powerscore.

As far as the october test, I'd echo what everyone else said. You should only take the test when you feel you are 100% prepared. If you don't, there is nothing wrong with the December test. If you do feel like you have a shot for october, I would say register for it just in case (if you have the $$). Feel it out the closer you get to test day, you should have a good idea of where your potential is by then. If you feel like you can easily score another 6+ points on the test in just a few months, then stick it out until December. If you feel like you'd at best score another 1-2 points on the test, then I'd go for the october test. At that marginal difference, you'll probably benefit more from applying earlier than maybe scoring a point more on your LSAT...

I ended up scoring 1 standard deviation below from my practice test average (my nerves got the best of me during the first half of the first section - after that it was smooth sailing). So if your practice tests are taken under real conditions, and you do this over and over and over again, you should have a decent idea of where you are. Just take whatever your average is and add/subtract 5 (about two standard deviations from your test score)... you will more than likely score somewhere in that range, and probably on the lower end of it...

mrshello

• View Profile
Re: should i buy the powerscore LG,RC book?study plan recommendations needed!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 09:52:20 PM »
You can buy all those things, but there is no need to rush either you could simply take the December LSAT and have more time to prepare. The test isn't going anywhere and you can apply to schools you are interested in now and report you are taking the December LSAT to ensure you will have a spot for Fall 2014.

At least that was the situation when I was applying, but you may want to check with individual schools.

As for your cold tests those are great, but they really don't mean anything. Everyone I meet seems to get 170+ on their practice tests, but that does seem happen on the real test day. This is because the real test is a lot more presure than a practice, but it will be awesome if you get a 170+ I am rooting for you, but don't be discouraged if you don't get into Harvard.

However, if you just started 10 days ago and feel rushed you may want to fill out the apps and give you time adequate time to prepare. Just my two cents though.

Hi there!

Your post intrigued me since you mentioned to let schools I am interested in joining (heaven permits!) in the Fall know that I would be taking the December LSAT.  Should I send them a separate note/email?

Sorry, a little idiotic question may be but this is the first time I had encountered this thought and would love to know it.

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: study plan
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 01:07:34 AM »
There is nothing wrong with your question back when I was a OL most law school applications asked whether you had taken the LSAT or were planning on taking the LSAT.

Since it is fall you could submit your applications to schools now and take the December LSAT decisions are generally not made until February anyway. Therefore, if you really wanted to be in Law School next fall you could go that route.

However, I would call any school you are interested in attending. Don't be afraid to contact an admissions office their job is to discuss law school admissions and the law school admissions officer at each individual school knows what their specific school requires so contact any school you are interested in to figure out what they want for you.

Don't let law school intimidate you or the admissions process you are fully capable of getting accepted just need to take the LSAT and see what your options are.

Good luck.