Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.2 GPA LSAT???  (Read 3916 times)

Ronjon77

• View Profile
3.2 GPA LSAT???
« on: July 25, 2013, 01:22:51 AM »
I'm taking the LSAT in October and have been studying my butt off. I have a GPA of 3.2 and I was curious what I would need to score to have a legitimate shot at making law school a reality for me. My issue is I'm 36 with a career so the only law school I can apply to is Charleston School of Law in Charleston, SC. I really can not leave the area to pursue my dream which I know is a huge strike against me. I'm curious since I'm basically putting all my eggs in one basket what is a score that I need to shoot for. From what I read Charleston seems to be a low tier school and I'm Puerto Rican so I'm hoping that helps with the admission process. Any information from you veterens would be awesome.

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: 3.2 GPA LSAT???
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 11:10:17 AM »
lawschoolnumbers.com is a good site to look it appears with a 3.2 and 150+ you would be a shoe in and LSAC indicates their median LSAT is 152 so do as well as you can the higher your score the more scholarship money you are likely to receive.

Also don't get to down on Charleston law school I have never been to the school, but as an attorney I can tell you that any ABA school will provide you with a solid education and if you graduate and pass the bar your an attorney. Then what you do with your license to practice law is up to you.

Keep hitting the books for the LSAT and hopefully everything goes smoothly.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 08:25:41 PM »
Take a look at the admissions info for Charleston on LSAC, it will give you a very good summation of the entering class profile. It looks like the median LSAT scores are 152 (full time) and 148 (part time).

Livinglegend offered good advice, especially regarding scholarships. Although you can probably get admitted with a low-mid 150s score, you should do everything possible to maximize your score and increase your chance of obtaining a sizable scholarship. The tuition at Charleston, like most ABA schools, is high. You could easily accrue $150K+ debt.

The problem is that smaller markets like South Carolina don't offer a lot of high paying jobs which will allow you to service that much debt. The few high paying jobs that are locally available probably go to UNC/Duke/Emory, etc grads. Going to a local school like Charleston can be a good choice, but you really need to be careful about the debt.

I would advise taking the time now to research the local legal market, talk to newer attorneys, etc. Get a feel for what kind of salary you can realistically expect to make, and go from there. Good luck! 

Ronjon77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 05:23:14 PM »
Thanks guys. Great advice from both of you. I realize the market for high paying jobs isn't great here but if I want to follow my dream I really have no choice. Too many responsibilities and bills to give up my current career. Plus I'm going to need my salary to help offset that law school debt. I'll be able to use the GI Bill to help but I believe that maxes out about 13K per semester for a non public school. I guess like with everything else its rolling the dice except putting about 100k or more on the line. Thanks again.

P.S. Whoever invented Analytical Reasoning on the LSATs needs to be tortured. Slowly!

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 11:19:56 AM »
You will get it done just focus on getting the highest LSAT score you can and worry about the Bills etc when you have realistic options. It is quite common to put the cart in front of the horse when thinking about law school, but there is really no point of thinking about the tuition, right school, etc until you actually have an LSAT score and know what your options are. Thinking of those things becomes more of a distraction to the LSAT just do your best if you do terrible then law school is not in the cards if you do alright you can get in if you do great you may get in with scholarship money. However, nothing is concrete until you have a score.

Good luck.

mrshello

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 07:39:31 PM »
lawschoolnumbers.com is a good site to look it appears with a 3.2 and 150+ you would be a shoe in and LSAC indicates their median LSAT is 152 so do as well as you can the higher your score the more scholarship money you are likely to receive.

Also don't get to down on Charleston law school I have never been to the school, but as an attorney I can tell you that any ABA school will provide you with a solid education and if you graduate and pass the bar your an attorney. Then what you do with your license to practice law is up to you.

Keep hitting the books for the LSAT and hopefully everything goes smoothly.

Just like you, I am also in my 30's (Turned 32 yesterday!) and I am also the higher earner (8+ years of Intellectual Property law researcher) between me and my Husband (no kids, yet!). That being said, I really hope to get a good score (170+) to get a scholarship  I have a 3.2 Cum. GPA (even though I graduated Cum Laude on my BA) and have a Master's in CRJ and will get my MBA this December (I'm on my last class and thankfully, it's fairly manageable!). I had a game plan set up, which involves working with LSAT related stuff every day, 2x LSAT full tests a week, working on Kaplan/Barron/Previous LSATs and BenchPrep LSAT online (thanks, Groupon!).

I took my diagnostic (Never checking out the LSAT before! Also, I took the sections right next to each other, no breaks between and within 35-36 minutes each section.) and I received a 149. I intend to take the October class and given my game plan, any advice if this 170+ goal is achievable?

Also, I do a lot of community volunteer work (I act as a Team Leader  in numerous civic projects here in NYC!) and I was hoping to get some scholarship in the top 14.

Everybody's input is very much appreciated.  :)

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 12:53:13 PM »
I took my diagnostic (Never checking out the LSAT before! Also, I took the sections right next to each other, no breaks between and within 35-36 minutes each section.) and I received a 149. I intend to take the October class and given my game plan, any advice if this 170+ goal is achievable?

I sort of addressed this in a reply to another of your posts, so forgive me for being repetitive. Is it achievable? The answer is yes, but it's statistically unlikely. Only a tiny fraction of those who initially score 149 on the diagnostic score 170 on the actual LSAT. I know we all like to think that statistical probabilities don't apply to us and that we'll be the exception, but that's the reality.

I would advise making a back up plan, and think about what you're going to do just in case you don't score 170.

Also, I do a lot of community volunteer work (I act as a Team Leader  in numerous civic projects here in NYC!) and I was hoping to get some scholarship in the top 14.

The competition to get admitted to T14s, let alone to get scholarships from T14s, is very, very stiff. Those schools are flooded with applicants who have high GPAs, high LSATs, and amazing soft factors. Right now, all wishful thinking aside, you have a 3.2 GPA and 149 LSAT diagnostic. I'm not trying to be critical or negative, but those usually aren't T14 numbers.

For the purposes of T14 admissions, a 3.2 GPA is low. The only way to really counter that is to score very high on the LSAT. Even then, admission is by not guaranteed.

The fact that you have a couple of M.A.s and do community work is great, but it won't really replace your GPA or LSAT score. Numbers dominate the process, and top schools have so many well qualified applicants that there isn't really any incentive to take someone with less than equal numeric qualifications.

As I said before, I would advise developing a Plan B. 

Ronjon77

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 04:52:01 AM »
Wooosh! That was the sound of a huge weight just lifted off me. Took my LSAT yesterday and now anxiously waiting for my score. Wow, no matter how many practice tests you do nothing really prepares you for the environment. No matter what I score just wanted to say thanks to all for all the advice and tips. Hopefully I will be posting a decent score in a few weeks, until then I think will enjoy a cocktail or 2

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 02:25:06 AM »
Congrats on completing the first major step towards a law degree. The relief you feel with the end of each step cannot be described until you go through nor can the pressure.

I am sure you will do fine on the LSAT and have options then law school will begin and plenty of posters on this site are happy to offer advice on excelling during your first year.

Congrats again on stepping up and taking the test.

Ronjon77

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 09:54:29 PM »
Thanks City.. I am pretty pumped and am looking forward to continuing this journey!