Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Going to law after pharmacy school?  (Read 2106 times)

allalice

• View Profile
Going to law after pharmacy school?
« on: July 23, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
Hi.
I am a recent pharmacy graduate.. I was wondering if it will be a smart move to go to law school.
Would I have to get into T14 to land myself a decent job?

What do you guys think?

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Going to law after pharmacy school?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 08:57:22 PM »
This may sound overly simplistic, but it depends on whether or not you really want to be a lawyer.

Personally, I'd be wary of accumulating significant debt when you already have a very marketable degree. Law school and the legal market are very tough, and you'd probably have a much easier time getting a job in pharmacy. There is also a very good chance that you'll make less as a new lawyer than as a new pharmacist.

Would I have to get into T14 to land myself a decent job?

It really depends on what you want to do. Big firms, some federal agencies, and academic positions will often require an impressive pedigree. Smaller firms and local government jobs often won't.

Contrary to what you may hear, a degree from a non-elite school is not a death sentence. Even among the so-called T14, some are truly elite schools, like Harvard, and others that are basically strong regional schools. My point is that there is nothing necessarily magical about being in the T14. If we're talking about the T3 or T5, that's a different story.

A degree from a well-respected local school can be just as useful as a higher ranked out of state degree. For example, let's say you want to live in Milwaukee. Would a degree from Georgetown necessarily be a better investment than a degree from UW-Madison, simply because Georgetown is ranked in the mythical T14 ? I'm not sure, but I wouldn't make that assumption.

Rankings do matter, but try to keep perspective on how much they matter.

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Going to law after pharmacy school?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 03:54:16 PM »
Maintain makes some good points and two questions to ask yourself is what is a good job? If your career goal is to work at Cravath or some major law firm then T14 would be the way to go, but believe it or not 90% of practicing lawyers did not attend the top 10% of law schools. If you want to be a City Attorney, Medical Malpractice Attorney, Public Defender, the list goes on and on then you don't have to attend a T14 school and you would probably be better off getting a scholarship at a lower ranked school than attending a T14 if you aspired to be a government attorney or start your own firm etc. It all depends on what you deem a "good job".

Second as Maintain asks why do you want to go to law school? I was actually thinking of a few of my law school classmates yesterday and the ones that are least happy are those that never choose a path. I cannot tell you how many people I went to law school with that said they didn't really want to be a lawyer, which would always beg the question what are you doing here then? Sure you can learn a lot and law school can lead you into different avenues, but there are cheaper and less time constraining ways to figure out what you want than attending law school. So really ask yourself do you really want to be a lawyer if the answer is yes then go for it.

However, you should also consider your debt. I imagine pharmacy school is expensive and law school is not any cheaper and even if you got a job at a major law firm you will likely have accumulated more than $500,000 in debt that is accumulating interest.

There is no right or wrong answer, but you have to ask yourself why law school and assess your debt situation. Good luck.