Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can I get into American University with my numbers?  (Read 3634 times)

ILoveDogs

• View Profile
Can I get into American University with my numbers?
« on: July 17, 2013, 10:47:52 PM »
158 LSAT, 3.2 GPA
Native American with paperwork to prove
Business MGMT major
Went to George Fox University, (small Quaker school in Oregon, regarded as a good regional school, but certainly not anything spectacular on national scope)
Decent recommendations letters from some professors

I would really like to go to American as it seems like a place I would really love and DC attracts me very much.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Can I get into American University with my numbers?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 12:36:33 AM »
If you look on lawschoolnumbers.com it looks like you have a good shot. Lawschoolnumbers.com is a good site to obtain more detailed information regarding law school admission than LSAC in my opinion.

Your URM status will also help, but one thing to consider is applying to lower ranked schools and obtaining scholarship money. One thing to know is that law school rankings mean very little in the real world, but the law school debt you incur does so try to minimize it the best you can.

Good luck in your legal career.

ILoveDogs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 01:42:55 PM »
Thanks for the help, sorry about the delayed thank you haha.

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 01:31:20 PM »
You probably have a shot at American it looks like your right on the low end of the median for them , which is 159 LSAT 3.44 GPA and above their 25% which is 156 LSAT and 3.18 GPA here is the direct info https://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/SchoolsABAData/SchoolPage/SchoolPage_Info/ABA_LawSchoolData.aspx?sid=4

So bottom line there is a strong possibility you can get in, but there is a chance you may not and if you want to live in D.C. you should apply to other schools in the area Catholic, Howard, and District of Columbia are also schools you have a shot at.

Georgetown or George Washington are probably not worth your time.

I would also recommend you attend an LSAC Law School forum here is a list of upcoming ones http://www.lsac.org/jd/choosing-a-law-school/law-school-recruitment-forums#WashingtonDC

The D.C. one has already passed, but NY and Boston have ones coming up in October. I went to the New York when I was a 0L and got 40 plus fee application fee waivers and I think stopping by a school's both gives you a slight bump in the admissions process since it shows you are serious.

If you go write your name and LSAC number at any school you have even a remote interest in and talk to the reps and see how you feel about the school it is a big decision.

Good luck.