Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is bringing up World of Warcraft in an interview suicide or genius?  (Read 462 times)

Ritzer

• View Profile
I'm getting ready for 2L OCI and really struggling to think of what makes me special and different from all those other snowflakes. So I'm really grasping at straws here, but if it's relevant to a question asked--such as asking me about a time I had to demonstrate leadership or resolve interpersonal conflicts--would I be crazy to mention that I led a top guild in World of Warcraft for several years?

I know I SOUND crazy, but the line between madness and brilliance is a fine one sometimes. And I know I've read articles about some CEO (Yahoo maybe?) parlaying gaming experience into the corporate world. Then again, I know law is conservative and anachronistic.

To be clear, my résumé is otherwise pretty strong. I'm top 15% at a top 50 school, and I'm only looking at summer associate positions in the regional city where my school places best. My extracurriculars and writing sample are good, but I don't have anything that really makes me memorable. And for what it's worth, I'm a girl of average attractiveness and healthy weight--not your typical overweight dude living in his mom's basement.

Is this something unique I can talk about or an instant reject button?

Duncanjp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is bringing up World of Warcraft in an interview suicide or genius?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 04:36:22 PM »
Might be worth one brief sentence if it shows an ability to focus and coordinate others within a structured environment. But probably not worth two.