Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which Law Schools Were Most Likely to Yank Merit Based Scholarships  (Read 798 times)

lrt8000

• View Profile
From the ABA Journal.
Among all the accredited law schools with merit-based scholarships, these 25 schools had the worst retention rates for entering students in 2011:

Akron (21%)
St. Mary’s (21%)
Howard (24%)
St. Thomas in Florida (24%)
Texas Wesleyan (28%)
George Mason (32%)
Rutgers-Camden (32%)
Barry (39%)
Florida A&M (40%)
Santa Clara (40%)
Chicago-Kent (42%)
Pacific-McGeorge (42%)
Catholic (43%)
Charlotte (43%)
Arkansas Fayetteville (44%)
Western State University (45%)
UNLV (46%)
Brooklyn (47%)
Chapman (48%)
Hofstra (49%)
Idaho (49%)
Seattle (49%)
Golden Gate (50%)
John Marshall (50%)
Texas Southern (50%)

Schools with 100 percent retention rates: UCLA, University of Minnesota, Emory, University of Arizona, University of Colorado, Connecticut, Oklahoma, Oregon, Stetson, Vermont, Liberty and South Dakota.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Which Law Schools Were Most Likely to Yank Merit Based Scholarships
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 05:01:19 PM »
Amazing. The entire phenomenon of offering scholarships as enticements (as opposed to offering scholarships as rewards) has been highly destructive, in my opinion. Law schools attach absurd stipulations, knowing that the majority will lose some (or all) of the aid.

How many students are saddled with 150K debt because they were enticed by the scholarship? Maybe a good number of those folks wouldn't have even attended law school absent the scholarship offer, which would have a generally positive impact on the profession.

I understand the caveat emptor aspect, and do believe that students are also at fault. There is just something so utterly lacking in dignity about universities playing these kinds of games with people's futures.   

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Which Law Schools Were Most Likely to Yank Merit Based Scholarships
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 04:15:43 PM »
I respectfully dissent I think if you are going into law school your smart enough to ask questions. Additionally the vast majority of students receive no scholarship money at all so even the ones that lose money did save thousands on their first year tuition. 

Maybe I am to harsh, but I don't have a lot of sympathy for aspiring lawyers that do not check in on details such as conditions involved with maintaining $50,000-$100,000 scholarships. If these were high school seniors enrolling as Freshman in undergrad it would be a little different, but that sort of thing happens all the time in College Sports where students lose their athletic scholarships due to injury, poor performance, etc. I imagine academic scholarships are revoked all the time in undergrad as well, which is more of an issue. However, law students are college graduates who write personal statements about how amazing they are and are one day going to be lawyers you better learn to ask questions and not assume everything is going to be ok if your going into the legal profession it is your job to make sure people know what they are getting into and if you can't take care of yourself why would someone hire you to take care of them?

Maybe a little harsh, but I think law students complain to much particularly at my alma matter law school, which is listed here. When I was offered $90,000 plus in scholarship based on having a 3.0 I asked the question of what does it take to have a 3.0 and I was told point blank. If you don't ask they are not going to tell you and like anything else law school is a business first and foremost from Harvard to Cooley if you don't pay your tuition they won't do you any favors.