Law School Discussion

Best school On this list (Prior Marine) - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA


Hello all,

This is my first post to this forum. I recently took the June LSAT and got my score yesterday. This was my first attempt and I got a 155 which was consistent with my practice exams. I have several applications out there that were just submitted within the last few weeks. I understand that the application deadlines have long since passed but the deans of several schools are allowing me to apply because I was delayed in law school preparation from military service. I was recently honorably separated from the Marine Corps. They are making an exception. However, now it is time for the waiting game and I would like to put some feelers out there to all who would be interested in giving advice, wisdom, or a hard time.

Something that is particularly important to consider with my situation is money. I don't have to worry about it whatsoever. The Post 9/11 GiBill provides a free ride so I don't need scholarships. This fact has made possible admission into better schools a financially viable option for me. All the schools below have been vetted already for me and I can attend 100% tuition free with no scholarships. I don't mind going to a lower tiered school because I will have virtually no debt.

Undergraduate GPA - 3.93
Undergraduate Major - Criminal Justice (B.S Awarded)
LSAT Score - 155
Softs - Marine Corps Service (4 years active) and currently doing reserve time.

What are your opinions and insight on the below schools. They are listed in order from lowest median LSAT score for 2012 to highest. I have already applied just waiting for word back. I would appreciate any insight!

University of Massachusetts - Dartmouth Median LSAT 145
Faulkner School of Law Median LSAT 149
Mississippi College School of Law Median LSAT 149
Syracuse University Median LSAT 153
Charleston School of Law Median LSAT 154
West Virginia University Median LSAT 154
University of Mississippi Median LSAT 155
University of South Carolina Median LSAT 158
St. John's University Median LSAT 158
University of Oregon Median LSAT 159
University of Pittsburgh Median LSAT 159
Northeastern University Median LSAT 161

My overall number one choice is University of South Carolina. I was stationed in South Carolina and I like the state a lot. I am not considering retaking the LSAT. I feel as though 155 is nearly as good as I will ever have. And I feel 155 is sufficient. I am ready to get in this Fall and go to work! Thanks in advance for your comments.


Re: Best school On this list (Prior Marine) - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 01:39:54 PM »

I think I responded to another post of yours, but to sum it up there is so such thing as a "best" school. There are a few schools that have a national reputation for being outstanding Harvard, Yale, Stanford, but that has more to do with the difficulty of being admitted opposed to the actual education. Simply put at any law school you will learn the law and read Supreme Court Cases the ABA has certain requirements that must be met and there will be required courses to take, which will include Torts, Civil Procedure, Property, Criminal Procedure, Constitutional Law, Contracts, and a few others. Then odds are you will take the electives that will be on the bar Wills & Trusts, Corporations/Business Associations, Evidence, Remedies, Family Law/Community Property (whatever the indiviudal state deems it.

At the end of your three years of law school you will then signup for BarBri or Kaplan to as a bar course and be in the same course as law students around the Country. So there is no "Best School" and remember that U.S. News Magazine is nothing more than a for-profit, unregulated, magazine offering an opinion. U.S. News has also ranked Alberquue, New Mexico as the best place to live 1. (A major reason being the hot-air balloon festival this is obviously important to the U.S. News magazine writer, but I have no interest in Hot-Air Ballon Festivals or living in New Mexico so it is not the "Best" place for me and I imagine you will not having post graduation plans of living in New Mexico because U.S. News says it is the best.

Use that same common sense when choosing a law school so many 0L's myself included when I was a 0L overthink the law school process, but thankfully I had practicing attorneys talk me out of moving to Michigan for law school when I wanted to work in the Bay Area. My reasoning was Michigan State was the 84th best school and that would obviously open far more doors than attending the 108th best school, but low and behold the School I attended is now ranked higher than Michigan State again showing the arbitrariness of the rankings.

What you need to do is choose the "Best" law school for you and it sounds like that may be South Carolina. You should also look into costs and potential scholarships, but also look at the conditions of any scholarship you receive often it will require something like maintaining a 3.0 GPA, which every 0L thinks they will achieve with ease. However, law school is nothing like undergrad and typically only 35% of the class can have a 3.0 this means there is a 65% chance you will not be in the top 35%. Again, 100% of law students at every ABA school are smart, hard-working, motivated and absolutely certain they will finish in the top 10% of the class and there is absoultey no way they will finish in the bottom 65% of the class, but you don't need to be a math major to see what happens when 100% of people think they will be in the top of the class. I think this New York Times Article does a good job of explaining the system . This is implemented by law schools nationwide so when considering costs and scholarship options look at the CONDITIONS.

In the end there is no "Best School", but there will be a best school for you. Consider what City you want to live in for three years, how much each school will cost, and visit the school to see if it is a good fit for you although the education is the same at each law school the culture is different and you want to be at a school you will feel comfortable at. I know there were some schools I hated others I loved, but that was my own personal feeling and nobody knows better than you what will work best for you so visit the schools, talk to professors, students, admins, etc and listen to your gut to determine what feels right.

Do not and I repeat do not use U.S. News Rankings as anything other than a tie-breaker for schools when making life altering decision of where to live for the next years, how much money to spend on school, and what school culture works best for you. The system U.S. News uses to rank law schools makes little to no sense as it is primarily based on lawyers filling out scrantons from 1-5 about schools they have never heard of. Certainly, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Columbia etc are nationally known schools, but like 95% of all other practicing lawyers you ill not be attending a top 10 school with a 155 LSAT, but you can have a successful legal career just make sure you go to the "Best School for you" good luck.


  • ****
  • 165
    • View Profile
Re: Best school On this list (Prior Marine) - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 01:39:53 AM »
Congrats on the stellar GPA, I am sure that it will help.

Which of these schools have you received acceptances from?

You should keep in mind that you can likely receive a quality education from any of these schools, it is unlikely that the world will be beating a path to your door upon graduation from any of these schools. On the bright side your debt situation will likely be better than most of your peers.

What was your MOS?