Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which is better?  (Read 849 times)

Sam2468

• View Profile
Which is better?
« on: June 29, 2013, 02:36:39 PM »
Hi everyone,
i will be attending university this fall and i have 2 unis i am concidering (university of miami(US) and york university(Canada)). For miami i applied for Pre-law but they say that pre law for undergrad doesnt look good to law schools. And at york i applied for law and society but they say it is too easy. Do any of you have any advice on which one will be better since i plan to apply at an ivy league law school in the states and practice law in the states.
Thanks for the help :)

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Which is better?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 12:49:04 PM »
To get into an Ivy League Law School you will need outstanding grades and an outstanding LSAT score. Whether you attend York University or Miami won't make much of a difference as long as you perform well.

With that said attending College in Canada or Miami will be a very different experience sub-zero temperatures or 100 degree days on the beach will be two very different environments on top of the fact you will be attending schools in different countries.

I also don't know what the tuition difference is between the two schools, but that will be worth looking into.

Finally not sure what your citizenship is, but I knew a few people that had issues with getting students Visas in law school along with trouble regarding their international transcripts. I would contact any schools your interested in and see if they have issues with processing international transcripts.

Sam2468

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice, i am an international student. What if i were to go to york for a year and take the LSAT's in Canada then apply to an american ivy league law school. I checked and most of the ivy league law schools accept students from york. Would that have a different outcome than attending a university in the states and taking the LSAT's in the states? (keeping in mind that my gpa is high, my LSAT score is good and my student visa is in order)
Thanks again!!!  :)

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 01:54:53 PM »
What if i were to go to york for a year and take the LSAT's in Canada then apply to an american ivy league law school. I checked and most of the ivy league law schools accept students from york.

Law schools in the United States require a bachelor's degree for admission, so attending York for one year is not sufficient. You must complete your undergraduate degree first.

Whether you attend York or Miami, or whether you take the LSAT in the United States or Canada will not matter. Admission to an Ivy League law school will be based primarily on your grades and LSAT score. If you can gain admission to a very prestigious undergraduate university like Harvard or Yale, then that will also help. Otherwise, I don't think that either York or Miami is going to give you any particular benefit. Aside from the elite institutions I mentioned, most university pedigrees won't really help or hurt your chances.

The main thing you must understand is that admission to Ivy League law schools is incredibly competitive. Thousands of applicants will vie for a handful of spaces, and only the most highly qualified will stand a chance. Without a very high GPA and LSAT, none of those other factors will matter anyway.

If you applied to any Ivy League universities for undergrad and did not get accepted, then you already have an idea as to how competitive admission can be. Law school admission is even tougher. Focus on your numbers.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 02:46:59 PM »
(keeping in mind that my gpa is high, my LSAT score is good and my student visa is in order)
Thanks again!!!  :)

Just so I understand you correctly, are you saying that you have not even begun undergraduate studies but that you have an LSAT score? That's very unusual. Most people don't take the LSAT until at least their third or fourth year of university. 

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 10:10:20 PM »
Again, there is no better school it is all up to your GPA and how well you do on the LSAT. So you have to ask yourself what environment well you do better in academically Miami or Canada? It is a personal choice, but I would imagine partying in Miami would be much more temping than sub-zero temperatures in Canada, but the actual institution itself will make little to no difference.

The other thing you may want to check is the grading system if one grants slightly higher grades then that may be option. The bottom line is it doesn't really matter what school you attend you have to have an excellent GPA and LSAT to attend an Ivy League Law School and if you have a 3.8 and get a 175 on the LSAT from either University you have a good shot at admission.

With that said I will say you should not put all your eggs in one basket. I know as a 18 year old kid you think getting a 4.0 will be easy and scoring in the top 5% of test takers on the LSAT is a given, but odds are you won't get a 4.0 or score in the top 5% of LSAT takers. Nothing against you personally, but just the reality of the situation.

The reason I say that is you are still quite young and there is a good chance by the time your a junior in college you will have no desire to attend law school so choose the college you think will be the best experience for four years don't base this life altering decision on the remote chance of possibility of attending an Ivy League school.

Sam2468

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 03:21:48 AM »
Thank you so much for the advices @livinglegend and @MaintainFL350. I'll keep it all in mind  ;) And @MaintainFL350
Just so I understand you correctly, are you saying that you have not even begun undergraduate studies but that you have an LSAT score? That's very unusual. Most people don't take the LSAT until at least their third or fourth year of university. 
I meant it hypothetically :p