Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Yet another "should I drop out?" thread... :sigh:  (Read 969 times)

soconfused

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Yet another "should I drop out?" thread... :sigh:
« on: June 15, 2013, 06:23:14 PM »
I apologize for the Eeyore-ish, woe-is-me tone of my post--I realize that law school message boards are replete with such threads this time of year.

I'm a rising 2L at a school ranked from 15-30. Was slightly below median after right fall semester, but plunged well into the bottom quartile thanks in part to personal circumstances which have since been resolved. :cry: Grades are topsy-turvy and all over the place, ranging from awesome to awesomely bad. I've been positively devastated over the past week. I'm having difficulty concentrating on anything for a sustained period of time and often feel sick to my stomach.

I went to law school for "idealistic" reasons. I was never gunning for BigLaw to begin with. Interested in practice areas like prosecution, indigent legal aid, family law, immigration, juvenile justice, etc. Truly love my summer gig and the pro bono work I did during 1L, but concerned about the future given my unenviable position. Debt will be ~$80K total thanks to a merit scholly, outside schollies/fellowships, and folks helping out with living expenses--not bad, but nothing to sneeze at.

Can I overcome this? I personally don't want to leave, but in life what we desire is not always what's best for us. If anyone can provide some guidance and TLC, I would greatly appreciate it.

*crawls into a hole*  :'(

spaceman

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another "should I drop out?" thread... :sigh:
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 12:30:45 AM »

You will be fine. I went thru a similar type experience and the one thing that helped me get through it all was exercise. I started exercising and I felt a lot better. My focus returned and I really started to enjoy school more.
I ended up running a half marathon my third year.

Just keep at it a little bit longer and things will get better. Exercise and enjoy yourself!

livinglegend

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 343
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Yet another "should I drop out?" thread... :sigh:
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 04:03:08 PM »
I see no reason to drop out if you are enjoying law school. The situation is pretty common for most 1L's as 50% of your class finished in the bottom half of the class and I know when you start as 0L you are convinced you will be in the top 10% and there is certainly no way you would finish below the median, but it happens.

Is finishing in the bottom quarter of the class the end of the world? No once your in the real world as a lawyer in front of a judge etc a judge will not care if you got an A or C in contracts. You would rather do well of course, but once you graduate and pass the bar you get a bar card from your respective state. The bar card does not list what school you attended, what your class rank was, or anything like that you will either be licensed to practice law or you won't. If you got through first year there is a good chance you will be capable of passing the bar and once that happens your a lawyer.

With your class rank the only door that will be closed is a biglaw associate job, which you probably wouldn't get even if you were in the top 20% of the class and it doesn't sound like you even wanted that.

The above poster gives good advice live life for the final two years, study, do your best, but all things considered getting a B or C in torts will mean little in regards to your legal career.

If you hated law school and everything about the law I would say drop out, but it sounds like you are just discouraged by not having done as well as you expected, which is what happens in law school. As you probably noticed everyone in law school is smart, hard working, and motivated and there was a 90% chance you were not going to finish in the top 10% and a 50% chance you were going to finish in the bottom 50% of the class and there is no shame in that you got through 1L so congrats!


Thane Messinger

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 533
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another "should I drop out?" thread... :sigh:
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 10:58:27 PM »
I'm a rising 2L at a school ranked from 15-30. Was slightly below median after right fall semester, but plunged well into the bottom quartile thanks in part to personal circumstances which have since been resolved. :cry: Grades are topsy-turvy and all over the place, ranging from awesome to awesomely bad. I've been positively devastated over the past week. I'm having difficulty concentrating on anything for a sustained period of time and often feel sick to my stomach.

I went to law school for "idealistic" reasons. I was never gunning for BigLaw to begin with. Interested in practice areas like prosecution, indigent legal aid, family law, immigration, juvenile justice, etc. Truly love my summer gig and the pro bono work I did during 1L, but concerned about the future given my unenviable position. Debt will be ~$80K total thanks to a merit scholly, outside schollies/fellowships, and folks helping out with living expenses--not bad, but nothing to sneeze at.

Can I overcome this? I personally don't want to leave, but in life what we desire is not always what's best for us. If anyone can provide some guidance and TLC, I would greatly appreciate it.



Confused -

First, you're not alone.  As to what you should do, that depends on the answer to the always-primary but often overlooked question:  "Do I really, truly love law?"

[See the nearby thread as to the expanded discussion on this question.]

If the answer is yes, then there are options.  You will have to work very, very hard to overcome the grade issue, but there are options at your school's level.

If the answer is "no" or "I'm not sure," then let's explore . . .

Thane.