Law School Discussion

BU v. GW v. Fordham

BU v. GW v. Fordham
« on: June 10, 2013, 04:48:35 PM »
I just got three waitlist offers and am having a hard time making a choice in a short amount of time. I'm between BU v. GW v. Fordham.  I want to do the biglaw thing on the East Coast.  Maybe become involved in politics much later in life.  Career prospects and starting salary are my main priorities.

My gut tells me all 3 schools are fairly comparable, and I should go with the one I like the best.  Do most people agree?   If that is the case,  BU is an easy choice. It's closest to my family, my favorite location, and was the only school to give me $. 

If GW or Fordham will give me a significant advantage over BU I would reconsider, but from what I've heard I think I will have a similar experience at any of them.  I know GW is ranked slightly high, but rankings only tell so much.

I also got into W&M with 10k but am not considering it, as I want to be in a city.  I am waitlisted at UMich, UVA and GTown.  Obviously, if I get in to any of them, I will go.  But I am not holding my breath and need to make a choice!

nubova

• View Profile
Re: BU v. GW v. Fordham
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 08:44:14 AM »
I just got three waitlist offers and am having a hard time making a choice in a short amount of time. I'm between BU v. GW v. Fordham.  I want to do the biglaw thing on the East Coast.  Maybe become involved in politics much later in life.  Career prospects and starting salary are my main priorities.

My gut tells me all 3 schools are fairly comparable, and I should go with the one I like the best.  Do most people agree?   If that is the case,  BU is an easy choice. It's closest to my family, my favorite location, and was the only school to give me $. 

If GW or Fordham will give me a significant advantage over BU I would reconsider, but from what I've heard I think I will have a similar experience at any of them.  I know GW is ranked slightly high, but rankings only tell so much.

I also got into W&M with 10k but am not considering it, as I want to be in a city.  I am waitlisted at UMich, UVA and GTown.  Obviously, if I get in to any of them, I will go.  But I am not holding my breath and need to make a choice!

These are pretty comparable schools. Throw in BC which has better placement in Boston, and you have a fantastic list.

Go with GW if you want to wrok in DC;

Go with Fordham if you want to work in NYC; and

Go wtih BC/BU if you want to work in Boston.

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 08:19:23 AM »

These are pretty comparable schools. Throw in BC which has better placement in Boston, and you have a fantastic list.

Go with GW if you want to wrok in DC;

Go with Fordham if you want to work in NYC; and

Go wtih BC/BU if you want to work in Boston.

Like many 0Ls, I would note that you don't have a fully-informed opinion of your likely prospects. GW, Fordham, and BU are all roughly similar (Tier 1, not T14). Which means that the main factors are cost and location.

So, ask yourself this- where do I want to live/practice? Just assume, for a minute, that you will not get a BigLaw job, or that (after exposure to law school and practice) that you do not want a BigLaw job. Where do you want to live and practice? New York, DC, or Boston/New England?

Then, look at the total cost (including cost of living -rent, etc., and assuming you aren't working) of attending for three years.

BU is offering you money. You seem agnostic as to location, but given your family location as stated, I would assume that Boston is a better fit (in terms of connections). BU should be the right choice given what you've stated. If you don't have a strong preference for NY or DC, *lower your total cost of attendance*.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 12:58:02 PM »
Loki gives great advice and assuming OP has not already made the decision, I think the skill you learn in law school is to use common sense, which hopefully you did.

As OP states he should choose the school he/she likes best. Not a difficult conclusion, which is bolstered by the fact that OP has family in BU, he/she like Boston the best and Boston is offering money and BU is actually cheaper per year in Tuition than GW or Fordham.

So the choice is attend a school near your support system, in a city you enjoy, and will cost less.

Or attend GW for example, which is not near the support system, not the City OP is familiar with and will cost more. However, the perk is that in 2015 U.S. News put GW in a four way tie for 22nd. While BU is in a 2 way tie for 26th. So an unregulated for profit magazine, that is unable to determine, which schools are 23,24,25th best is the one reason for paying more money, getting away from your support system, and moving away from a City you enjoy. (Bad Choice) 

It is also worth noting that OP's post went up in 2013 when Boston was 29th, but has risen to 26th. GW was 20th in 2013, but has fallen to 22nd and if BU is ahead of GW when OP graduates in 2016, nobody will be shocked.

Fordham also went from 29th to plummeting 38th.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/rankings.html

What happened at these schools during that time? Nothing of consequence they are all fine, which is why you use common sense and not a for profit unregulated magazine to make a life altering decision.

Therefore, when faced with the choice of paying less to live in a City you enjoy and have the support of friends and family, compared to paying more, to move to a City you enjoy less away your support system, you choose the former.

It is this amazing tool called common, which far to many 0L's myself included as 0L fail to use when choosing a law school.