Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seeking some honest feedback  (Read 516 times)

sixburgh

• View Profile
    • Email
Seeking some honest feedback
« on: June 06, 2013, 09:29:08 AM »
Hello all,

Reapplying after a disappointing cycle. In the process of rewriting my personal statement. Attempting to build off my final product, but know there is always room for improvement. I would really appreciate any feedback or suggestions on this draft. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! 

Thank you all in advance!

P.S. - I would be more than happy to read/comment on anyone's ps as well.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking some honest feedback
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 06:44:49 PM »
If you had a disappointing cycle re-working your personal statement is fine, but is likely of limited value. In the vast majority of cases the personal statement is a small factor, and is greatly outweighed by GPA and LSAT.

In addition to writing a new statement I would also suggest reconsidering the schools you're applying to (maybe you applied to schools out of your reach?), and perhaps retaking the LSAT if your score was especially low. It's important to be very realistic about your options and to identify the schools which will give you the best shot at admission and (hopefully) scholarships.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Seeking some honest feedback
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 07:35:12 PM »
Maintain is correct especially since you want to attend a school like Rutgers or Seton Hall it is all numbers. Obviously draft a competent personal statement, but they are looking through 4,000 or more applications and people on an admission committee are humans unless you have some extraordinary story such as being an NBA basketball player, Navy Seal, or something else that really jumps off the page your personal statement won't be that big of a deal.

Go to lawschoolnumbers.com and you will see how much of a numbers game law school admission is. The reason for this is these admissions committees are reading 4,000+ personal statements most of them saying I want to go to law school because I worked in a law firm, or I am seeking a challenge, etc, etc. These are all fine statements, but 99% of people do not have a story that will catch an admissions committee's attention.

If you really want to go get into a "higher school" although I believe that is a bad distinction then you are much better of spending time studying for the LSAT opposed to working on a personal statement.