Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need advice- slumping before June  (Read 580 times)

royalKHM

• View Profile
Need advice- slumping before June
« on: May 28, 2013, 02:43:56 PM »
Hi all,
I took my first diagnostic test a couple months ago and scored a 166. I've been taking practice test after practice test (no course, just me), and slowly (with a few bumps along the way), worked up to an average of about 175. I one time even hit 178! But 3 of my last 4 tests have been around 169. I'm very frustrated by this slump and really nervous since June is coming up. What do you guys think- should I push through the slump, keep taking tests, and go for it in June? Should I take time off and take the October test? Take some time off and still try for June? I'm going to be busy all summer so I'd like to not have this weighing over my head if I don't have to, but I really want to do the best I can - and I know I'm capable of upper 170s. Please let me know your thoughts on last-minute slumps!

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
Re: Need advice- slumping before June
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:26:06 PM »
Hi all,
I took my first diagnostic test a couple months ago and scored a 166. I've been taking practice test after practice test (no course, just me), and slowly (with a few bumps along the way), worked up to an average of about 175. I one time even hit 178! But 3 of my last 4 tests have been around 169. I'm very frustrated by this slump and really nervous since June is coming up. What do you guys think- should I push through the slump, keep taking tests, and go for it in June? Should I take time off and take the October test? Take some time off and still try for June? I'm going to be busy all summer so I'd like to not have this weighing over my head if I don't have to, but I really want to do the best I can - and I know I'm capable of upper 170s. Please let me know your thoughts on last-minute slumps!

Sounds like it might be a little bit of burnout plus the extra stress with the reality that the test is now only two weeks away. 

You need to relax a bit to get back to your previous mental state you had when scoring in the high 170s.  Take a day or two off and do something stress reducing, then come back to the test.  The only thing that has changed since your highest scores is your state of mind, not the test, so you obviously have the ability and just need to get back to unstressed, calm and more focused.