Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chances of Acceptance?  (Read 916 times)

TAllain

• View Profile
Chances of Acceptance?
« on: May 21, 2013, 12:54:01 AM »
Hello all,

I've recently been researching schools to which I wish to apply, with ranking, chance of acceptance, location, etc in mind. I have compiled a list, and I would like to apply to the following schools:

Harvard (for shits and gigs)
Boston University
Northeastern
Suffolk
Umass Dartmouth Law

My GPA is a 3.75 cumulative, and I am currently averaging, on true practice LSAT exams, a score range of 165-170. I plan on improving my score range by at least 5 points at each end before I sit for the test in October.

Assuming I score even a 165 on the LSAT and my GPA remains intact next semester, what do you think my chances are of being accepted to each of the listed universities? I realize Harvard is a reach, but I'll apply anyway.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chances of Acceptance?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 02:30:33 PM »
My GPA is a 3.75 cumulative, and I am currently averaging, on true practice LSAT exams, a score range of 165-170. I plan on improving my score range by at least 5 points at each end before I sit for the test in October.

Let me first say that the LSAT is a difficult test, and simply can't assume that you'll score in the top 2-3%. Practice test are good preparation, but there is no guarantee that your practice scores will be replicated on the actual test day. Thus, until you get a real live LSAT score on the board everything is pure speculation.

That said, take a look at the admissions profiles on LSAC and you'll get a very good idea as to your chances given certain GPA/LSAT combos. Assuming that you score 165, Harvard would almost certainly be out. Even if you scored 175 it wouldn't be guaranteed. You'd have a shot at BU, and the other schools you mentioned would be near shoe-ins, possibly even with scholarships. Again, check out LSAC. The have far more detailed info than I can provide. Good luck!

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Chances of Acceptance?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 10:45:52 PM »
I see this question posed by many prior to taking the LSAT and I think you are putting the carriage before the horse.  There really is no point on wondering what your options are until you have a real LSAT score.  Once you have that score it is real and you will know what your options are. Therefore, I recommend you do everything you can to succeed on the LSAT and once the results are in then you can realistically weigh your options. Thinking about what law schools you can get into prior to having a score is frivolous in my mind.

If you really are curious about what numbers will get you into what school websites lawschoolnumbers.com or simply using the LSAC website are great resources.

Not to discourage you, but I am an attorney and worked briefly in law school admissions and  I cannot tell you how many people tell me they score between 165-175 on the practice LSATs, but somehow they never end up getting a real score. I do not know what the reason for this is I know when I was doing practice LSAT's I gave myself a little leeway maybe gave myself an extra minute or two or who knows what else. Not to mention the real pressure of test day makes a significant difference on performance. Therefore, even if you do not get a 165 it is not the end of the world if you can get into an ABA school you have a chance at a successful legal career.

With that said I sincerely hope you get a 180 that would be awesome.

Good luck on the LSAT.