Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ANXIETY!!!!!  (Read 12337 times)

internet1

• View Profile
    • Email
ANXIETY!!!!!
« on: May 20, 2013, 05:48:03 PM »
This is my first time using this board and am wondering if it is normal to have a lot of anxiety about law school before I start. I really am not sure whether or not Law School is right for me. I know how difficult it is going to be (my gf is a current attorney and my brother is a current 2L) and that is not what is giving me anxiety (maybe a little that I wont do well). Mainly I am having anxiety over whether or not Law School is right for me and once I commit it will solidify my future is some sense. I am very outgoing and social, good with numbers and enjoy negotiating and traveling. I'm 26 and really need to figure out what im doing. Ive already put deposits down at law schools and not sure whether or not I should defer or not. Ive never worked in business and might have a false vision of what it might be like. I worked at a law firm for a year and a half and did enjoy it. I am really confused and not sure what I should do. I feel that law school shouldnt be creating this anxiety if it is truly what I should be doing. I am not sure whether I should pursue a JD/MBA or just a JD or just a MBA or neither. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

internet1

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: ANXIETY!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 03:16:54 PM »
Is it common to have this anxiety and not be sure that Law School is the right decision?

Thanks

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 11:21:42 PM »
I think this is quite common for anyone attending law school or any new commitment. Whether to attend law school or not is a life altering decision and you there is no guarantee it could go great it could go terribly. When I was a 0L I can tell you I was freaking out the summer before I started it was a mixture of excitement, anxiety, hope, dread, and everything in between. However, most people in their mid twenties have the feeling of "what I am doing with my life" and if you attend law school you are taking a significant step in one direction it is a 3 year 100,000 commitment that will change your life.

It does sound like you have done a good amount of research into it and worked in a law firm and were not scared off. As for having a possible false vision you might have one, but there is no exact picture to being a lawyer it is a diverse field much like anything else really.

As for the JD/MBA what do you want to do with both of those? You shouldn't simply get more education because you don't know what to do and personally I think a law degree is far more valuable than an MBA, but I could be biased. You need to go to law school to be a lawyer you don't need an MBA to be a businessman.

I am sure you would like to hear everything will work out and this is a great decision or maybe it is horrible and you should not go, but this is your life and your decision. There is no way to know if law school is the right decision and like any big decision there is a bit of uncertainty. Whatever you decide I wish you good luck.

xoftmade

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 04:06:34 AM »
Promotion of free media, peace and regional cooperation. SAFMA is recognisd by SAARC as an associated body with its Central Secretariat in Lahore, SAFMA has established South Asian Media Center, South Asian Journal and South Asia Media School and held journalists exchanges and editors conferences.

South Asian Free Media Association

@_@

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 10:13:43 PM »
It sounds like you have connections. That is the #1 problem that most people face. It's not graduating that is their problem, it is having connections. Networking helps, but having relatives who are lawyers is a good step in the right direction.

JDAdvising

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 03:19:04 PM »
Hello Internet Newbie!

I think it is completely normal to feel quite a bit of anxiety before law school. I think part of it is that it is a new environment, and part of it is that it might not be worth it if you don't want to practice law (although it sounds like you liked your experience working at a firm - which is a good sign!). 

I was really anxious before law school and I didn't even want to practice law (which is not necessarily something I advise to others...). But I agree with Legend - I found a law degree to be impressive (more impressive than an MBA) and thought that even if I ventured into other fields I would have a major advantage. I ended up practicing law for about three years after law school (which I enjoyed) but now I just tutor law students/bar exam students full time. I have no regrets.

One good thing about law is that it is a very versatile field. And, if you're only 26, now might be the best time to go to law school considering that as you get older and have more commitments and responsibilities, it is more of a sacrifice to go. However, at the same time, if you really think you will not enjoy being a lawyer, and if you do not get scholarships or have a way to pay off law school, it might not be worth it to go into so much debt for something you do not even know if you want to do. 

Anyway, good luck! Let me know what you decide. And if you want some law school advice, you can always visit my site: www.excellenceinlawshcool.com

@_@

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 04:51:49 PM »
I have always wondered what those "other fields" are that would prefer a JD over an MBA?

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 05:28:17 PM »
I have always wondered what those "other fields" are that would prefer a JD over an MBA?

I've had two non-legal jobs where a JD was preferred. One was in environmental consulting, where knowledge of property, land use, and especially state and federal environmental regulation was an asset. The other was in film marketing and distribution, where knowledge of copyright, intellectual property, and contracts was necessary. Many of the people I worked with were JDs, but not necessarily practicing attorneys. An MBA would have been considered alright, but a JD was considered better.

Human resources is another field where it's common to find JDs. At most larger companies and government agencies the HR Director and managers will be JDs.

@_@

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 10:03:18 PM »
Are we talking about Clean Water Action and other $10 an hour type jobs?

I cant imagine that most places would "prefer" a JD unless the JD is already licensed. I should clarify I don't mean "they'd hire a lawyer and pay them non lawyer pay" I mean "they'd hire a JD who never passed the bar"

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 01:58:46 AM »
No, we're talking six figure careers.

None of the positions I mentioned require you to dispense legal advice, so bar admission is not necessarily critical. Knowledge of the relevant law, however, is considered a huge asset.