Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top 10 things to do before studying for the bar exam  (Read 583 times)

sandrabarexam

• View Profile
Top 10 things to do before studying for the bar exam
« on: April 30, 2013, 12:13:07 AM »
Hi all!

These is just a list of things I think one should be done before studying for the bar exam.

What others would you recommend?

1. Decide how are you going to study the bar exam. You have three options:

Study on your own ($)
Study with a bar prep course (mainly Barbri, Kaplan or Themis) ($$)
Study with a tutor ($$$)

2. Plan your meals. Since you are going to be dedicating long hours to studying, plan your meals in advance. For example, there are grocery stores that deliver groceries to your home.

3. Make hotel reservations. Although it is too soon to know where you are going to take the exam, you can book a hotel room in the closest hotels to the locations you have selected. You will have time to cancel the reservations later, once you know which location you ar going to take the bar exam.

4. Check your health. Because you want to avoid unpleasant surprises while studying for the bar, it is a good idea to pay a visit to the dentist and to the doctor to make sure you are in good health.

5. Check your legal matters. Make sure that you are not going to face any legal trouble. For example, check that your lease is not going to expire during the months you will be studying. Or if you are an immigrant, confirm that your visa will be valid while studying.

6. Make sure you can take the bar exam. Confirm that all required forms have been filed with your State Bar and that you are allowed to take the bar exam.

7. (Try to) Put your love life in order. Try not to fall in love or you will be too distracted. If you are planing on breaking up, break up before starting to study. In any case, make sure that your loved one understands that you are going to be really-really busy for 3 months.

8. Plan your bar exam vacations. Plan your vacations pre-bar exam, and plan your vacations post-bar exam. You are going to need both!!

9. Read about other people experiences about the bar exam. Now that you have the time, learn from what other students have experienced while studying for the bar exam. It will help you to understand better what you are going to face for the next three months.

10. Enjoy your last days as a law student or as a non-bar-student!! Try to get as much sleep as you can, have fun and do all the things you are not going to be able to do for a little while.

I am writing more advice and info on the bar exam in my blog (http://flashcards.barmaterials.com) and I would love to hear your opinion  :D

christylove

• If you do not look, you will never see.
    • MSN Messenger - trulve@msn.com
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 things to do before studying for the bar exam
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 03:19:44 PM »
Sandra,

These are great tips. Thank you.
ChristyLove