Law Students > General Board

College Disciplinary Trouble and Law School Admission

(1/1)

tltblue:
I recently got in trouble at school and I know that I need to disclose this information when applying for law schools.  I recently got in trouble for 1) Smoking pot in my dorm, 2) Having paraphernalia, and 3) Possession of alcohol (I'm 19).  I only got in school trouble for this, not in trouble with the police.  I was wondering how bad of an impact this will have on my acceptance into a law school.  Does it help that I'm only a sophomore?  Is there anything I can do at all to help me out here?  Any suggestions and information is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

jack24:
Find the state you want to practice law in and find the character and fitness standards.

Here's the pamphlet for New York, for example:  http://www.nylat.org/publications/brochures/documents/CharacterandFitnessBrochure09.pdf

Most law schools have standards comparable to the state bar, but the last thing you want is to get into law school and then get rejected by the bar.

Usually, if you are honest and you have several years of a clean record, drug use will not disqualify you.  Of course, you must find out from the specific law school and specific state bar you will be applying to.

livinglegend:
It certainly doesn't help anything, but I have known people who got DUI's and arrested for assault who went on to become attorneys. As Jack Stated each state is different and some schools may care more than others, but I imagine if you apply to a law school in Colorado or Washington where Pot is legal now it won't be much of an issue. California it is basically legal and you I live in San Francisco and openly see people smoking pot in front of police so I don't think schools in any of those states will mind much as long as YOU DISCLOSE WHAT HAPPENED.

Just stay out of trouble and report your incident fully when you apply. The only way this will really impact you is if you don't disclose, because then you will be in trouble for lying not the original offense.

On top of that you are only 19 and may never end up going to law school as a great deal may change for you during your undergrad years. For now stay out of trouble, get good grades, participate in school activities, then when the time comes take the LSAT. Hopefully you do well enough to get in, but really what you should be most concerned about is getting the most out of your undergrad experience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version