Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wait list Advice  (Read 983 times)

Rafiki

• View Profile
    • Email
Wait list Advice
« on: April 15, 2013, 10:27:23 AM »
After applying mostly to schools I thought I had a realistic chance of getting into, I took a couple of shots in the dark at some that were a bit of a stretch- and I was pleased to see I was wait listed at my dream school.

This school in particular states that they do not rank their wait list, and that there is not way to determine when I may hear back. My question is, besides resubmitting an updated resume, additional letters of recommendation, and so forth, what is the best way to aid my chance of getting in? Would a campus visit help? A personalized letter? I feel the need to be pro-active to bolster any shot I have.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Wait list Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:49:24 AM »
You absolutely need to be proactive, but this really depends on the admissions people.   I had one buddy who just called them and told them, "I'm coming and I'm starting class on August 20, so I'd better have a seat."  It worked.

I do know that a passive approach won't get you anywhere.  Definitely go visit if it's not a huge trip.  Maybe call first if you are going to travel a long distance.

jane1960

• View Profile
Re: Wait list Advice
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 06:55:54 PM »
I got into 4/8 of the schools I was wait-listed at.  I sent an email about every two weeks, basically just reminding them that they were still a top choice for me and I would be eager to accept an offer of admission.  Make sure you read all the wait-list update emails you get, and reply if they ask for a confirmation of interest.  Good luck!