Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Villanova v Widener DE  (Read 656 times)

Jchaverri

• View Profile
    • Email
Villanova v Widener DE
« on: April 14, 2013, 11:33:14 AM »
Hey guys, I'm having a hard time deciding between Villanova and Widener Law. I visited and loved both schools but for different reasons. I loved Villanova because of the location, the school and campus itself is beautiful and their law review program seemed very appealing. They also have more of a variety with international programs and their career center seems very helpful. Villanova, despite its recent scandal, is ranked higher. When I attended their admitted students day, I just didn't feel like I was in my environment. I felt out of place. I also work full time and Villanova only offers a full time program. I visited Widener yesterday and loved the campus. I definitely felt like I was in my element and students and faculty genuinely seemed willing to help. Their career center and student organizations seemed intriguing and students seemed warm and friendly despite their stresses of being a law student. I would be attending Widener as an evening student. The only issue I have with Widener is its law school ranking.

If someone could give me some insight, that would be wonderful!

Thanks so much!

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Villanova v Widener DE
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 12:03:35 AM »
Jchaverri

First realize anything you read from anonymous internet posters myself included should be taken with a grain of salt.

With that said your situation is not uncommon for 0L's, but as an attorney who at point thought the rankings meant everything I can tell you they mean very little particularly between schools such as Widener and Villanova.

What is important to realize is that U.S. News is nothing more than a for profit, unregulated, magazine offering an opinion. U.S. News has also ranked Albuquerque New Mexico as the best place to live http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/real-estate/articles/2009/06/08/best-places-to-live-2009 . U.S. News ranks everything and not just law schools and it is far from a perfect science as seen by Villanova getting caught lying to them.  Realistically do you think moving to New Mexico because U.S. News says so? I hope not use the same logic when choosing a law school it sounds like you love everything about Widener, but a magazine is saying Villanova is better and you are considering it.

Also realize this is your life and as you have seen from your visit you did not like Villanova and you liked Widener. In my experience as a OL every school had a feel some I liked others I didn't it is a personal preference and based on your post you like Widener more than Villanova therefore you should go to Villanova.

A final point to realize is that the education you receive at any ABA school is essentially identical. You will read Supreme Court cases and Judge Cardozo in 1930 did not write a separate opinion in Palsgarff for different ranked schools. Whether you attend Villanova or Widener you will take Civil Procedure and read Pennoyver v. Neff, Contracts -Hadley v. Baxendale, so on and so on and what you learn will be the same. At the end of three years you will then either take BarBri or Kaplan for bar preparation and then if you pass you will have a law license and be a lawyer.

The reality is rankings mean very little obviously Harvard, Yale, etc will open some doors, but no employer will track you down with a degree from Villanova or Widener. You can succeed from either school, but nobody cares about the difference between the 80th or 120th school. I imagine someone out there does, but in reality a Widener Grad will be more likely to hire you from Widener and a Villanova grad more likely to hire you from Villanova. There are successful grads from both schools.

Hopefully that is somewhat helpful to you, but I really encourage you to not make a life altering decision based solely on what a for-profit, unregulated, magazine thinks.

lrt8000

• View Profile
Re: Villanova v Widener DE
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 05:33:32 PM »
I would not go to law school if my only choice were Widener.