Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is my GPA going to prevent me from getting into law school?  (Read 1612 times)

duke808

• View Profile
Is my GPA going to prevent me from getting into law school?
« on: April 13, 2013, 12:10:58 AM »
I messed around my first 3 years of college unfortunately. I'm 21 now at the University of Hawaii studying business management. I have one year left, with a 3.0 GPA after this semester (which I didn't do so hot in).

My next 2 semesters as well as summer school I plan on really trying hard to pull A's. Hopefully my GPA can get up to a 3.2 :-/

Obviously a tier 1 or 2 is most likely unattainable, but I was considering applying to Hawaii's law program here because for one I don't have to relocate all over again and two it is much more affordable than other schools I have looked at.

If I do good on the LSAT will my 3.0-3.2 still haunt me and prevent me from getting into law school? Had I known 3 years ago that law was my path I would have taken things much more seriously. Hindsight is always 20/20 right...

I am interning at a law firm right now and love it.

Thanks for any help
Duke

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is my GPA going to prevent me from getting into law school?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 11:04:43 AM »
Have you retaken any classes to replace bad grades?  If so, does the 3.2 reflect the old and new grade, or just the new grade?

LSAC includes the old grades in the calculation.   I had a graduating GPA of 3.4, but once they added in the few classes I bombed (and later retook)  my freshman year, my gpa dropped to around 3.0 for application purposes.

So at this point it all depends on your LSAT.   I made it into a solid T2 school with a 3.0 and 160, and things aren't nearly as competitive now.