Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Diving-in, head first!  (Read 1006 times)

vuarnet

• View Profile
Diving-in, head first!
« on: April 11, 2013, 10:33:21 AM »
Good morning -- I have registered for the June LSAT and I'm ready to DO THIS. I've got 20 preptests from LSAC and the Princeton Review book for a start. I've taken my first practice test and will be analyzing my weaknesses tonight (have not scored it yet as I was still taking the test at around 11pm and hadn't eaten ... haha).

I'll be self-studying, so unfortunately I have to rule out the more intense / beneficial Princeton Review courses... but does anyone have experience with the Self-Study PR course? It's like $500, and that seems reasonable if it's truly worth it. Thoughts? Or any other advice you'd like to offer?

My GPA from undergrad isn't stellar [2.8] so I really need to bank on an excellent LSAT to get into a good school. I've been in the professional world for about 5 years now, so perhaps that will help me out. No idea what that counts for tbh, but hopefully it's a positive and not a negative.

Just wanted to introduce myself. So HEY! And ... LET'S DO THIS!

Thanks in advance!

/vuarnet

lawyurd

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Diving-in, head first!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 09:09:14 PM »
7Sage has a couple of options that are very reasonable and less than $400.  I can't speak for the quality of the instruction but they have some free stuff that should be worth a look.  I was going to do this program but have decided to pursue a doctoral degree instead.

HYSHopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchooli.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 06:26:46 PM »
I love your enthusiasm! That is the kind of positive attitude that it takes to CRUSH the LSAT.

As far as the Princeton Review LSAT Self-Study course goes... I'd recommend steering clear of them. I personally find their lsat prep materials to be sub-par. I'm pretty sure that their "Cracking the LSAT" book still uses fake LSAT questions. There are something like 700 real lsat prep questions available for licensing, and yet they still create their own lsat prep tests / lsat prep questions to avoid LSAC licensing fees. I'm pretty sure that the Princeton Review book was the first LSAT prep book that I purchased as well... and although I was able to make some marginal progress, I didn't really start to see real gains until I switched over to the PowerScore books. Take a look at the link in my footer and consider buying a couple of PowerScore Bibles -- If you prefer their materials, then consider taking the online version of their class.

In any case, its probably a much safer bet to stick with one of the following companies:

http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/virtual/content_index.cfm
http://www.testmasters.net/LsatOnline
http://blueprintprep.com/online

7Sage has a couple of options...

I'm not familiar with 7Sage's materials/methods... so I can't speak to those options one way or another.

vuarnet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 01:02:39 PM »
Thanks to you both for responding! I figured I would check into alternatives before posting back so that I would have at least something to report...

@HYSHopeful, I completely agree with your assessment of Princeton Review materials being sub-par. They are. Simple as that. I blew through the material and got VERY frustrated (ask my wife!) with the difficulty of the questions (now apparent that they are not real LSAT questions), and even more frustrated with the degree (or lack thereof) of deconstruction of the problems. All in all, it's a waste of time. It doesn't sufficiently challenge someone who intends on CRUSHING the LSAT. Last time I checked, no one *aims* for an average score. At least the logic section in the PR material should teach its readers enough logic to understand that with only moderate preparation one should not expect an exceptional result. I anted up, joined Amazon Prime, forked out some cash for overnight shipping and did the right thing.

I bought the suite of PowerScore materials (workbooks and "bibles"), and they are MUCH better. Far more intensive in terms of deconstruction, explanation of logic, attention to detail... it's all about gaining a marginal edge... and another marginal edge... etc. Very impressed. After a few days I'm about 1/4 of the way through the Logical Reasoning Bible and I must say it's a GREAT resource.

The logical reasoning section of the Princeton Review book is around 100 pages of moderately challenging (about a 1.5-2 out of 5), the PowerScore Logical Reasoning Bible is over 550 pages. I'm all for brevity and conciseness of language (not so much on the forum, apparently?) but that's an irreconcilable difference.

Since I haven't taken the LSAT yet, my score is yet to tell the true efficacy of the "Bibles" but I am getting noticeably faster and more accurate. And for someone like me, that is MUCH more motivating than a false sense of confidence doing lesser difficulty questions.

And all-in-all, I shelled out about $240 bucks for overnight shipping and all the "Bibles" and workbooks. Considering the impact of the LSAT on school admissions and thereby long-term earning potential, it's a worthwhile expenditure.

I hope this helps others from making the same mistake.

HYSHopeful, and thank YOU for being up-front and helping to catalyze my decision to jump ship sooner rather than later on the PR materials. I'm taking the LSAT in June so a few days waste can be VERY significant.

All the best!

/v

LSATGamesTutor

• View Profile
    • LSATGamesTutor.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 03:31:55 PM »
Your time is much better spent reading the PowerScore books and doing past LSAT questions.  If you do some snooping around the web, you can find the PowerScore books and all past LSATs and explanations for past LSATs available to download (illegally) for free.  Once you've read the PowerScore books, the best way to learn is to do past LSAT questions in small chunks, say 5 or 6 at a time, and check the answers immediately afterwards.  If you get any answers wrong or aren't 100% certain why the correct answer is correct, go back and try figure it out.  If you can't figure it out or you want to confirm that you've figured it out correctly, check the explanations.  If you're still having problems after reading an explanation, then get a tutor to help you with your specific area of need.  It's much more efficient than paying for a course to learn stuff you already to know or could just as easily learn by yourself.  Feel free to contact me if you're looking for an affordable tutor.
Online tutoring at www.LSATGamesTutor.com
$40 per session
No risk - you don't pay beforehand or provide financial information. 
If the session is helpful, pay afterwards.  If it's not, don't pay.
Why not start now?

HYSHopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchooli.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 01:27:49 PM »
If you do some snooping around the web, you can find the PowerScore books and all past LSATs and explanations for past LSATs available to download (illegally) for free.

LSATGamesTutor, please don't imply that people should download these books illegally.

You do NOT want to start your legal career by downloading illegal copies of the LSAT from sources that do not pay LSAC licensing fees. You should only download pdf versions of the LSAT from sources that are officially authorized by LSAC! LSAC and other companies routinely monitor for illegal downloads... Donít risk ruining your chances of getting into law school or failing your character and fitness evaluation by subjecting yourself to litigation. You could end up halfway through law school, then getting a subpoena in the mail and being pulled into a big mess that you'll have to sort out. It's an easy way to risk ruining your legal career before it ever gets started.

vuarnet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 01:47:36 PM »
I have to agree here. Just because one CAN do something does not mean that one SHOULD. So far, and to the extent I'm qualified to judge having not yet taken the LSAT, I think the PowerScore materials are solid. Combined with the LSAC/T practice test books I think I have a solid chance of cracking 170.

And plus... considering I want to specialize in cybercrime / computer laws... something tells me that's a bad precedent to set! :)