Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JD or DBA or both?  (Read 419 times)

lawyurd

• View Profile
    • Email
JD or DBA or both?
« on: April 09, 2013, 08:34:23 AM »
I am torn between a JD or pursuing a Doctoral of Business.  I would love to do both, not at the same time (that's just crazy!).  Both degrees take a minimum of three years, most likely longer for me since I still have to work and can do a JD part-time or write a dissertation that takes some people years to finish. 

The DBA program I am looking at has a focus on Supply Chain and Logistics.  This is ideal for me and the easy choice since I work in logistics for the federal government.

A JD could be beneficial because I don't want to do logistics forever and would love to move over to the contract side of what we do because of all the stuff I see that could be fixed if someone knew both sides of how things work, (maybe I'm just a naive idealist in this aspect).

I would love to do both programs since I truly believe that I could make an impact knowing both sides of the business.  I can only do the DBA online because the program is not offered anywhere near me here in Florida.  There is at least Florida Coastal School of Law here, a T4 ABA juggernaut.  I'm prepping for the LSAT in June. 

I know that I probably answered my own question about which program to do first but would still love to hear the pros/cons of doing both degrees over time. 

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
Re: JD or DBA or both?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 02:06:04 PM »
If you must do one, do the DBA. Based on what you wrote here about your career, you don't even need to go to law school. You certainly won't need a JD. If you want to learn about areas of law that affect your career in logistics, you can go to law school for a limited time, learning only the things that apply to what you do and what you want to know. These programs are generally called a Master of Legal Studies or Master of Studies in Law.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.