Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Monterey College of Law  (Read 6341 times)

Gunner.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Monterey College of Law
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 03:17:49 AM »
Big sigh of relief. Monterey College of Law's 2014 graduates who took the February CA bar exam achieved an 86% pass rate (6/7). Our total first-time takers is 75% (6/9). Our cumulative five year pass rate remains over 60%, even with our "anomaly" of last July that was previously discussed.
That is impressive.
What is your attrition rate though? (from matriculation through graduation)

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 01:07:44 AM »
Great work happy to hear your students are succeeding and entering the legal profession as licensed attorneys.

CA Law Dean

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes . . . law school is intentionally challenging.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 11:22:56 AM »
"Last Call" for Fall 2014 applicants. The 2014 admissions cycle is wrapping up and will likely go down as one of the most unusual. ABA schools accepting the June LSAT (scores out yesterday) have created the domino affect of keeping the cycle open later than ever before. In response, MCL has extended its application deadline until the end of July (latest ever) so that applicants have a chance to consider their June LSAT results and determine which law school is the best "fit" from both an academic and financial standpoint.

Go to www.montereylaw.edu if you are interested in possible Fall 2014 admission, but don't delay too long. It takes time to get official transcripts, letters of recommendation, personal statement, etc. and the final deadline is looming.
Monterey College of Law
www.montereylaw.edu

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 07:57:26 PM »
Out of curiosity how many students attend MCL?

I was just wondering what the student body size was compared to ABA schools.

CA Law Dean

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes . . . law school is intentionally challenging.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2014, 01:53:25 AM »
About 120 total students. We admit about 35 new 1Ls per year. Enrollment has been relatively stable for the past several years, but is coming later the last two cycles.
Monterey College of Law
www.montereylaw.edu

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 11:12:20 AM »
That sounds like a good stable number.

I think many schools ABA/CBA or otherwise would be wise to cap the number of students admitted each year. 35 admitted students seems quite reasonable good luck with the upcoming academic year.

Gunner.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2014, 03:37:31 PM »
About 120 total students. We admit about 35 new 1Ls per year. Enrollment has been relatively stable for the past several years, but is coming later the last two cycles.
Can you answer the attrition question?

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2014, 08:35:30 PM »
Indeed, attrition is a particularly worrisome issue at both lower-ranked ABA and non-ABA schools given the investment of time and money.

I would also be interested in what the causes of attrition are and the grading policy.

Gunner.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2014, 10:10:37 PM »
Indeed, attrition is a particularly worrisome issue at both lower-ranked ABA and non-ABA schools given the investment of time and money.

I would also be interested in what the causes of attrition are and the grading policy.
The worst ABA law school no doubt has lower attrition than even the best online

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2014, 10:59:17 AM »
I actually think attrition is a good thing and despite rumors no school anywhere would impose a mandatory kick out rate. I have heard rumors about a number of schools that are required to  kick out 25% of the first class, but that makes no sense why would a school want to kick out paying students? The answer is they don't, but they do have some ethical obligation to dismiss a student they know has no chance of passing the bar.

I think part of the problem today is everyone is to nice and nobody wants to dismiss an poor performing student. These poor performers in law school unsurprisingly often do not pass the bar or squeak by the bar, but are just not employable as attorneys. I am sure anyone of us that attended law school can think of a few classmates that you would not trust to feed your cat your let alone represent you in an important legal matter.

Here is an interesting article posted by Maintain FL on the subject http://www.thefacultylounge.org/2013/02/what-has-happened-to-law-school-attrition.html.