Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Preparation Question  (Read 977 times)

Mtm1980

• View Profile
Preparation Question
« on: March 29, 2013, 09:08:26 PM »
Hello,

Quick question ... I am starting LS this fall.  Right now I am reading the Aspen Primers.  Any other thoughts on how one should spend their time getting ready to start their 1L year?

Thanks.

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Preparation Question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »
A lot of people have different opinions on this I personally believe preparing for law school is the wrong path, but plenty of reasonable people disagree with me.

You could simply look at the sylabuss for professors at your school and read some of the cases. Your first year will consist of Torts, Property, Contracts, and Civil Procedure for sure. Then schools mix up Criminal Procedure, Criminal Law, and Con Law you will have or both of those in 1L and one in 2L, but those are all courses you will be taking.

However, my personal opinion is just do a lot of things you want to do get your life in order before going to law school. Your first semester is horrible and you will be freaking out. After that first semester it gets a lot easy as the language becomes more understandable, but when your a OL you are likely to not understand the language of what is going on and either learn the law wrong or get frustrated.

For example you will read the case of Pennoyer v. Neff it is a case from the 1800's which is insanely long the Angela makes no sense, but all it really says is you need to provide notice when serving a lawsuit, but if you read that case in a law school textbook without really knowing you will not get that.

Bottom line I recommend getting your life together and having as much fun as possible also do as much work as you can to have some savings in your bank account.  Your going to be spending the next three years of your life studying your ass off no need to get a 6 month jump on it especially since in my opinion it may hurt you and any benefits will be minimal.

SaraJean

• View Profile
Re: Preparation Question
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 07:35:20 PM »
I purchased some audio reviews and listened to them as I had time.  It was like a road map of where the professors would likely be going, and it helped me become familiar with the vocabulary we would be using in class.  When my professor and the recording differed, it usually meant I misunderstood something, and I asked my professor about it.  (On one occasion, my prof and the prof on the recording actually did disagree, so I made a point of remembering the two sides of the issue and which one was my professor's.)