Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JD/MBA  (Read 571 times)

Rafiki

• View Profile
    • Email
JD/MBA
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:22:17 AM »
I am considering attending law school in the fall. I have applied to quite a few, but only heard back from one thus far, where I got in. I graduated with above a 3.5 undergrad with a triple major in finance (dual degree + management) along with a minor in history. Not mind-blowing but not bad. My general question is about actually deciding whether to go, regardless of the school (Didn't apply Ivy league, just some T2-T4). I have had trouble finding work with my UG degree, and the only few of my peers who have found really good jobs had serious connections. My family (even a close uncle who is a partner in BigLaw) is not so keen on me attending law school, but are willing to support me (financially) to a large degree. In this day and age I feel it would be beneficial to earn some post-graduate degree so part of me wants to continue now. I am confident I will get into the law schools in my home state, but don't really want to be there. So, I almost find it pointless.

I have also been advised to also enroll in a dual JD/MBA program. Even so, I am skeptical about choosing a T3 or T4 school just because I want to be a lawyer. That being said, I honestly would like to be an attorney. I feel I eventually will have to earn a post-grad degree, and the dual degree sounds enticing in that I can combine my UG with what I would like to.

Overall I feel that it doesn't make sense to attend law school unless (i) its free and in a desirable location or (ii) a top ten school. I feel as if this is the current consensus from everyone, so I just want to collect any extra thoughts on the matter, in light of my basic situation, that anyone has. To me it doesn't make any to sense to pay $100,000 - $150,000 just to still be in the same position in three years that I am in now; but if one does well in their studies and earns their JD/MBA, is the added marketability worth the cost, for say, working for a corporation or business and not as litigator with a solo JD?

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: JD/MBA
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:11:02 PM »
When you graduate law school you will be in the same position as your are now. If you attend MBA school you will be in the same position as well. If you go to the Police Academy or Fire Academy the same will occur as well. When you graduate no school guarantees you a job and going to law school simply because you can't find a job is a terrible reason to attend.

I am confident if you keep looking for work with your undergraduate degree you will find something, but it will take a lot of time, effort, and rejection. Just look at these different articles from each profession

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/14/news/economy/nursing-jobs-new-grads/index.html (nurses can't find work)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/22/job-market-college-graduates_n_1443738.html (College grads can't find work)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124026550135236597.html (MBA"s can't find work)

Will most college graduates, nursing graduates, MBA"s, law grads find jobs? Yes more than likely if they stick with it, but it is hard to find a job and when you graduate from law school you will be in the same position.

Now you say you want to be an attorney and if that is the case then law school can be a great choice, but WHY do you want to be a lawyer. T.V. and movies make it a little more glamorous than it is, but it can be a very rewarding career if you know what your getting into.

Your options of going to law school for free or attending a top 10 school are unrealistic. With a 3.5 your not getting into a top 10 school and no law school is going to pay for your living expenses, but if you want to be a lawyer then go to law school, but you really need more direction. The JD/MBA won't hurt your career prospects, but it will cost you 100,000+ and you will spend 4 years in school, which will take from professional development you might obtain over 4 years. You will find a job in 4 years if you apply yourself, but it will be hard and it probably won't be a glamorous position you have to work your way up the chain that is life.

I think if you give a little more detail on what you want more advice can be given, but do not attend law school or any graduate degree because you don't know what else to do, which is the impression I obtained from your post. It is to big of a commitment to enter into simply because your having a tough time finding a job.