Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Emory/Notre Dame/GW/WashingtonU/BU/W&M  (Read 1122 times)

GraceLau

• View Profile
Emory/Notre Dame/GW/WashingtonU/BU/W&M
« on: March 21, 2013, 12:42:36 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm an international applicant from hong kong, and I have got the offer from emory, ND, GW, WU, BU and W&M. Please help me with these choices.

1)Career prospect
As an international student, if I want to practice law in US after graduation, I have to go to those biglaws sponsoring H1B visa. So employment rate at biglaws is one of the most important factors for me to make decision.

2)Transfer
I'm seriously considering about transfer to T6 after 1L. Will any of these schools give me some advantages for transfer? I heard that ND and W&M have good academic reputation, but Washington U & GW have higher ranking, which will help?

3)Cost
W&M gives me 10k/year, nothing from other schools. I can afford full tuitions & living expenses, but still it's not a small amount of money, so cost is a minor factor to think about.

Please give some advices. Thank you very much!

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Emory/Notre Dame/GW/WashingtonU/BU/W&M
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 01:27:30 PM »
All of the schools you've been accepted to have good reputations, but you need to be very realistic about your options.

1)Career prospect
As an international student, if I want to practice law in US after graduation, I have to go to those biglaws sponsoring H1B visa. So employment rate at biglaws is one of the most important factors for me to make decision.

Hiring at the big U.S. firms is extremely competitive. You will most likely need to be ranked near the top of your class, which is no small accomplishment in law school. Your classmates will be just like you: disciplined, motivated, and smart. Everyone will be striving to reach those coveted few spots, and you simply can't assume that you'll be at the top. Before you commit yourself to law school, understand that there is a very good chance you will not get hired at a big firm.

I'm not sure what (if any) effect your immigration status would have on getting hired, but it may complicate the matter further. I'd ask other foreign law graduates directly about their experiences, as well as the law schools themselves.

2)Transfer
I'm seriously considering about transfer to T6 after 1L. Will any of these schools give me some advantages for transfer? I heard that ND and W&M have good academic reputation, but Washington U & GW have higher ranking, which will help?

The general rule is that you should not attend any law school which you are not prepared to graduate from. As I said above, all of the schools you've been accepted to have good reputations. Transferring to a T6, however, is very competitive. Many people attempt to transfer to higher ranked schools, and very few succeed. You will most likely need very high grades and a high class rank by the end of 1L. Like getting hired at a big firm, you need to understand that while it's possible it's easier said than done.

You've set some very difficult to attain goals for yourself. Be realistic about your chances of attaining these goals, and evaluate whether you still want to attend law school even if you don't get hired at a big firm or if you don't get to transfer.

Good luck!

GraceLau

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 06:02:21 PM »
Thank you very much for your advices!!

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 12:09:46 AM »
I have lived in Hong Kong and can tell you one thing to really understand is the cultural differences in America and the regions of America. For example all of these schools are in entirely different areas.

Emory is in Atlanta in the South

Notre Dame is in a very small town in South Bend Indiana

Boston University is in the metropolitan City of Boston

W & M is in a very small college town.

As an international student you need to consider how comfortable you will in these new areas along with the weather Notre Dame for example is cold they all are, but South Bend is probalby the coldest while I don't believe Atlanta ever snows.

Also these schools are different Notre Dame is a Catholic University that loves American Football someone from Hong Kong might have a hard time understanding this, but you might love it. Conversely Boston University is in Boston there is a lot more going on there and more diversity so a transition might be easier.

Maybe for comparison Indiana might be like the Sichuana Province in China while Hong Kong would be the Boston/New York area. America is not quite as big as China, but there are very different regions so that is something to really consider.