Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law school projections?  (Read 1449 times)

Engaged101

• View Profile
    • Email
Law school projections?
« on: March 08, 2013, 04:51:42 PM »
Just curious about my projected chances at attending any of the Top 20 Law schools....

I have 3.3 combined GPA of both my majors (Political Science/Economics) and have been working (as a legal assistant) for a law firm for 4 1/2 years (working 30+ hours per week). Having taken a practice LSAT exam (cold), I scored a 168. I project that my actual score will be 170.

Hypothetically, if I maintain an LSAT score of 170, what are my chances of getting into any of the Top 20 (USC and UCLA being my top prospects).

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law school projections?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 06:54:36 PM »
Just curious about my projected chances at attending any of the Top 20 Law schools....

I have 3.3 combined GPA of both my majors (Political Science/Economics) and have been working (as a legal assistant) for a law firm for 4 1/2 years (working 30+ hours per week). Having taken a practice LSAT exam (cold), I scored a 168. I project that my actual score will be 170.

Hypothetically, if I maintain an LSAT score of 170, what are my chances of getting into any of the Top 20 (USC and UCLA being my top prospects).

The LSAC calculator can estimate your chances, but it can be inaccurate at times. https://officialguide.lsac.org/release/OfficialGuide_Default.aspx
It does use actual acceptance data, though. This changes if you are a URM.

According to LSAT, you have less than a 25% chance of admission at Boston, Texas, USC (~25%), Cornell, Northwestern, UCLA (~15%), Michigan, New York, Duke, Virginia, Penn, and Harvard. (No chance at Harvard).  You have a between a 25% and 50% chance at Notre Dame, Vandy, Washington, Illinois, Boston College, Minnesota, William and Mary, Alabama.

Stanford doesn't participate (you have virtually no chance)
Berkeley doesn't participate (you have virtually no chance)
You've got a ~65% chance at UC Davis, ~60 at Hastings, ~80% at Loyola, ~90% at pepperdine and about 100% at all the other California schools.

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Law school projections?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 12:12:09 AM »
To the OP I highly recommend taking the LSAT and getting an official score before considering law schools. I cannot tell you how many people I know who get 170 on their practice LSAT's, but somehow the test never gets taken. Whatever you do on the practice doesn't really mean anything I hope you get a 170 hell a 180, but the odds of that happening are low.

Take the LSAT get a score and see what your options realistically are. Right now you are putting the cart in front of the horse so take the LSAT get a score and know what your options are. Good luck on the LSAT.

As for your work experience that means very little it doesn't hurt, but law school admissions is a numbers game first and foremost. Maybe if you had done something like been a professional athlete, a Navy Seal, or something else that would get you in the headlines it might matter, but almost every OL has worked in a law firm in some capacity. It doesn't hurt obviously, but Stanford is not going to go oh my goodness look at this applicant 4 years at a law firm we have to let him in. There are thousands upon thousands of applicants it sounds like you are doing the right things, but your numbers will be what gets you into law school.