Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can any transfers help me??  (Read 867 times)

grumpyolive

• View Profile
Can any transfers help me??
« on: March 04, 2013, 07:55:47 PM »
Hey all,
I'm currently trying to decide on which law school to attend. I've been accepted at Fordham but I would want to try to transfer out after my first year. I noticed that Fordham doesn't give out official class ranks and only have approximate class rankings from top 10% of the class, 25%, 33%, and 50%. Since I would not have an official number or rank to report when applying as a transfer to another school, will this hurt my chances? Wouldn't it be better to attend somewhere that ranks students if my intent is solely to transfer?

Also, I'd really appreciate if no one suggest that I retake the LSAT. I'm already considering that option as well.

Thanks!

Anti09

• View Profile
Re: Can any transfers help me??
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 08:58:19 PM »
Do not go to law school intending to transfer.  It is almost certainly not going to happen.  You need to 10% to have a realistic shot, and trying to predict your 1L grades is nearly impossible since you don't know how your classmates will do.  The rule of thumb is to assume you will graduate at median and estimate your job prospects on that basis.  If you aren't comfortable with where that puts you at Fordham, do not attend Fordham.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 04:55:49 PM »
Do not go to law school intending to transfer.

Agreed. Don't attend any law school that you aren't prepared to graduate from. Law school is nothing like undergrad, and its far more difficult to score high grades. You'll have to actuallly compete for your class rank in a way that you never had to do in college. Remember, the slackers never made it to law school. You'll be competing against other people just like you: smart, motivated, and aggressive.

I knew tons of people during 1L who talked about transferring to higher ranked schools (UCLA, Boalt, etc). Maybe 2-3% actually did it. Something to consider. 

johnson33445

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 02:03:55 AM »
The rule of thumb is to assume you will graduate at median and estimate your job prospects on that basis.  If you aren't comfortable with where that puts you at Fordham, do not attend Fordham.have a good time
Allen123

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 12:59:29 AM »
I think everyone above gives you advice and one of your last concerns about choosing a law school should how they rank percentages for the purpose of transferring. The main reason being to transfer you need to generally be in the top 20% of your class and there is an 80% chance you will not be in the top 20% no matter where you go.

On top of that first year of law school is a life changing event and many people do not transfer and very few people end up transferring. It could happen, but Fordham had 479 first year students last year and only 14 transferred out that is about 2%, which are what your odds of transferring will be most likely.  Bottom line do not attend a law school you will not be happy graduating from.