Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mid-Atlantic--fellow students helping each other  (Read 7210 times)

vanceap3

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mid-Atlantic--fellow students helping each other
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 05:51:17 PM »
Thanks Angie!  I will check it out.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 05:41:20 AM »
It is a wonderful book.  It tells you how to make a presentation so that judges will want to listen to your argument.
Angie

vanceap3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 04:04:44 PM »
Thanks again Angie!  I will try to get the book this Summer, having not only to do the Law School stuff now, but also taking Criminal Law at my local college until May. It is being taught by a State District Judge who is retiring soon and I think will be professor of law here (but not law school).  He is very tough but very good...not just regurgitation so a student learns sort of how to think like a Judge.  Anyway, staying very busy (am also a sub. teacher but is part-time).
Regarding Law School though, I have found that I learn best by not just using the Gilberts test but also the Examples and Explanations plus the mp3 audio from either Gilbert or Sum & Substance or any of the other good ones out there.  It seems to be working since I am picking it up very well.
How is your direction of goals coming along?

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 12:08:22 AM »
I bought a package of law school notes from ebay.com.  They are in a zip file.  I broke down and bought a second generation Kindle so that I can put the zip file on it after the notes are saved in pdf format.  I had originally planned to have the law school notes printed out.  But the contracts portion, alone, is 487 pages.  I will use these notes to study for the certified paralegal exam. The other information I am studying is a little outdated.   I think I will finally have the required 500 dollars needed to sit for the exam this September.  I am also working with a couple of inmates on their habeas corpus petitions, pro bono, under the direction of an attorney.  I have decided to work for free so that I can establish a professional reputation before I start looking for a paid position.  Being an attorney would be better.  But, I decided to wake up and smell the coffee:  I just don't have the money to go to law school. 

Have you decided to brief any of the cases in the Gilberts books?  I know that briefing even ten of the cases in each volume will slow you down.  But, the court opinions help me memorize the black letter law because each case states the law as part of the court opinion.  As a result, if you read
enough cases you will have that particular rule of law memorized.  The court opinions also bring the black letter law to life.

Angie

vanceap3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 08:00:17 AM »
I think you are well on your way to passing the PL test.  You are also going about the search for employment in the field the right way too because it shows your work ethic in the fact that you are willing to put forth the effort with HC in prisons.
Yes, I do brief the cases in Gilberts but I do a shorthand version via color coding.  I still get the benefit but it takes much less time to brief the cases.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 12:47:08 PM »
"By any means necessary!"  As long as you are reading court opinions, you are also headed in the right direction.
Angie

vanceap3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 10:17:51 AM »
What is the name of your law school notes called...the ones you purchased on ebay?  I may be interested in getting them.
By the way...just found out I will get an internship with my Criminal Law professor this Summer and Fall.  I am really looking forward to it.  THIS MESSAGE IS FOR ANGIE...SORRY...FORGOT TO ADD THAT AT THE BEGINNING.

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2013, 05:17:46 PM »
What are your exams are like for an online schools?  Are they done through an online black board software or are they home-assigned and sent in through email?  I was just curious...

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2013, 07:11:53 PM »
Mid Atlantic is not actually a real law school since it is not registered with any bar association the grads cannot qualify for the California Bar (or any other) - so they wouldn't know.

vanceap3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2013, 05:43:44 PM »
Hi Cher...don't pay attention to that person!  He is not registered as a real person so he wouldn't know!