Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mid-Atlantic--fellow students helping each other  (Read 6385 times)

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mid-Atlantic--fellow students helping each other
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 09:38:11 PM »
California registered distance learning law schools are not a scam; the other ones are because you cannot take the bar despite what promoter claim and they have zero academic standing.

Additionally, the California DL degrees are academically accepted; mine was evaluated by SAQA (South African Qaulifications Authority) http://www.saqa.org.za/ and given the equivalency of a South African Bachelors in Law degree. An accredited US graduate school granted me graduate credit as well at one time.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 07:36:25 AM »
I also don't buy the story that people in general get scam law degrees because they love the law.  I would say they get the fake JDs in order to misrepresent themselves and their credentials.  A degree from a  scam law school like N*VUS is nothing to brag about but could be used to deceive people.

vanceap3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 06:07:48 PM »
Hi Angie....sent you an email.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 08:15:01 AM »
Let's keep in touch to strengthen our knowledge of the law.
Angie

vanceap3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 07:22:37 PM »
Hi again Angie....received my Civil Procedure book in the mail today and also received my Civil Procedure "Essentials and Explanations."    I was looking through them and am really very excited to get started delving through each.  I think using both is a good idea because together with the outlining, briefing, and understanding examples, etc., you can get a lot more out of each module.  Just wanted to let you know.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 10:06:41 AM »
But, if he/she does not really want to do that, then he/she is stuck with creating his/her own brand.    The online law school degree (from any online law school) is only a beginning. The school's name will not help him/her get his/her foot in the door. Getting published is one excellent way of creating your own brand.

Law is largely not an academic pursuit; you get recognized by practising law, not writing about it.  Win a few cases and get the respect of your peers; that's the way to get ahead. Law Review articles by students are mainly rehashes of secondary sources. read the classics instead: Gerry Spence, Melvin Belli, F. Lee Bailey, Louis Nizer, etc.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 01:37:51 AM »
Tell that to Justice Scalia, Bryan Garner, Corbin, Farnsworth, the ALI, Prosser.  Most law review articles are written by professors.  And, by the way, Bailey was disbarred.  The only way to become effective at practicing law is to have an encyclopedic knowledge of the law.
Angie

vanceap3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 08:28:04 AM »
I agree Angie!  I'm reading J. Scalia's "Reading Law" now and is VERY informative.  Check it out, especially if not that familiar with Canons!

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 10:23:56 PM »
Tell that to Justice Scalia, Bryan Garner, Corbin, Farnsworth, the ALI, Prosser.  Most law review articles are written by professors.  And, by the way, Bailey was disbarred.  The only way to become effective at practicing law is to have an encyclopedic knowledge of the law.

Stan Chesley was just disbarred too - doesn't mean they were not excellent attorneys in their heyday.

Most attorneys do NOT have an encyclopedic knowledge of law.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 12:00:38 AM »
I bought and read Scalia and Garner's book, "Making Your Case."  I like their recommended format for stating an issue.  I wrote an article about interpreting statutes.  It included information from a book that reinforced my understanding regarding how to interpret statutes.

My suggestion to online JD holders to get published was a way to get their foot in the door.  Of course, they will have to prove themselves in the courtroom.  But, who will listen to them unless the potential employer knows how they think; knows that they have some knowledge of the law; and, knows that they can read and write? Don't laugh at the last statement.  I have met some online degree holders who appear to be as illiterate as someone who never completed elementary school.
Angie