Law Students > Transferring

Admitted to Appalachian but I want to go to Uconn

<< < (2/6) > >>

mycousinvinny13:
Thanks for your advice. I am touring ASL in March so depending how I feel about the classes and the student body there could be a possibility I would take a year off work and reapply. Something I do not want to do but your right, its beneficial to wait and go somewhere thats going to benefit me than hurt me.

Appreciate all the replies.

Maintain FL 350:
When you took the LSAT, did you study much beforehand? Or take a prep course? The reason i ask is because if you could raise your score to even 153-55, you'd have many more opportunities. I don't know if it would be enough for UConn, but maybe for Quinnipiac and few other schools in the region like Roger Williams, Albany, Widener, etc. Any of those would give you a better shot at employment in the CT area.

mycousinvinny13:

--- Quote from: Maintain FL 350 on February 08, 2013, 11:38:09 PM ---When you took the LSAT, did you study much beforehand? Or take a prep course?

--- End quote ---

Yes, I took Kaplan test prep (big mistake) and I was scoring in the 155 range during practice exams. I still do not know what happen on the real thing since I went down ten points. Ive always been bad at standardize tests and thats why I feel it would be a waste to pick up where I left off and retake the exam.

livinglegend:
Well one thing to realize is that law school and the bar is one big standardized test. When you enroll in law school you will have one final for each class that is it a 3 hour test for your entire Contracts Class and what you do in those 3 hours will be your entire grade for that course. There is usually no midterm, no h.w. assignment, just one 3 hour test, which is essentially standardiezed. Your first year contracts exam for example will generally involve identiyfying whether it is UCC or Common Law Contract, then whether there is an offer or acceptance in the contract and they will combine some nuances like was it a firm offer (bla bla), then there will be an issue of whether or not the contract was formed with consideration, and what remedies the parties had. That is typically the formula for a contracts questions and it is a high pressure standardized test that you need to not miss any issues and do better analysis than the guy or girl next to you. Honestly your law school exams will make the LSAT seem like a piece of cake.

When your done with three years of law school you get to take arguably the hardest standardized test in the world a Bar Exam and if you don't pass this you can't be a lawyer.

Bottom line is I would recommend getting good at standardized tests before enrolling in law school and if your goal is to be an attorney in Connecticut then go to law school there. No guarantee you will do good enough to get into Quinnipac, but you will spend 100 bucks and have your life if you don't get a 155. If you go to Applachian there is realistically you will probably have to be in the top 15-20% of your class to transfer out and there is an 80-85% chance you won't be. Then you will pay 30,000-40,000 and be in Grundy, Virginia for the next two years and if you go to Appalachian that is probably where you will graduate you from.

My post is not meant to knock Applachian it is an ABA school, but it is in a very small town in Virginia and this will probably be a big culture shock to you. If you visit and think it is a good fit for you then great, but it is ALWAYS A BAD IDEA TO GO TO LAW SCHOOL COUNTING ON TRANSFERRING.

mycousinvinny13:

--- Quote from: livinglegend on February 11, 2013, 11:32:38 PM ---Well one thing to realize is that law school and the bar is one big standardized test. When you enroll in law school you will have one final for each class that is it a 3 hour test for your entire Contracts Class and what you do in those 3 hours will be your entire grade for that course. There is usually no midterm, no h.w. assignment, just one 3 hour test, which is essentially standardiezed. Your first year contracts exam for example will generally involve identiyfying whether it is UCC or Common Law Contract, then whether there is an offer or acceptance in the contract and they will combine some nuances like was it a firm offer (bla bla), then there will be an issue of whether or not the contract was formed with consideration, and what remedies the parties had. That is typically the formula for a contracts questions and it is a high pressure standardized test that you need to not miss any issues and do better analysis than the guy or girl next to you. Honestly your law school exams will make the LSAT seem like a piece of cake.

When your done with three years of law school you get to take arguably the hardest standardized test in the world a Bar Exam and if you don't pass this you can't be a lawyer.

Bottom line is I would recommend getting good at standardized tests before enrolling in law school and if your goal is to be an attorney in Connecticut then go to law school there. No guarantee you will do good enough to get into Quinnipac, but you will spend 100 bucks and have your life if you don't get a 155. If you go to Applachian there is realistically you will probably have to be in the top 15-20% of your class to transfer out and there is an 80-85% chance you won't be. Then you will pay 30,000-40,000 and be in Grundy, Virginia for the next two years and if you go to Appalachian that is probably where you will graduate you from.

My post is not meant to knock Applachian it is an ABA school, but it is in a very small town in Virginia and this will probably be a big culture shock to you. If you visit and think it is a good fit for you then great, but it is ALWAYS A BAD IDEA TO GO TO LAW SCHOOL COUNTING ON TRANSFERRING.

--- End quote ---

Thank you, I appreciate your input. I am visting appalachian in two weeks, they arranged for me to sit in on a 1L Contracts course and tour the law school. At this point if I do not like the school and cannot get in anywhere else, I am going to take a year off, enroll in a different prep course and aim for the high 150's.

From everyone's experience, I have heard that it is difficult to transfer and I feel that it is an awful idea to attend a school that I cannot see myself graduating from with the sole purpose of transferring.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version