Law Students > Transferring

Admitted to Appalachian but I want to go to Uconn

(1/6) > >>

mycousinvinny13:
Average GPA(2.86) and horrible Lsat (145) :-[ has forced me to consider attending a TTTT with hopes of transferring to Uconn Law. Has anyone attending a TTTT and actually transfered to a TT school?

I am not retaking the LSAT and so far I've been admitted to Appalachian, denied at Cardozo, Quinnipiac, and wait-listed in New England law. The way my cycle has been going I do not see my self attending a TT. Most likely I can get into a TTT but with no scholly so I am thinking TTTT for scholly reasons and then transfer to TT.

All input is helpful.

Thanks.

kjw5029:
Is the 2.86 your undergrad or 1L gpa?  Either way, I transferred T4 to T2 3 years ago.  I had a really high rank though.  Not saying you need a really high rank (though you did when I transferred because everyone in the world was going to law school), but it's certainly possible to do. 

Edit:  Just read your post a little closer (sorry).  I had a 3.0 going into law school and slightly higher LSAT.  I went to a T4 school and then worked extremely hard my first year to transfer.  I got into a bunch of T2 and a couple T1.  I wouldn't go to law school expecting to finish in the top 10% though.  90% of law students won't finish in the top 10%.  You have to work extremely hard.  If this is something you feel you are capable of accomplishing, it can be done. 

livinglegend:
Congrats on getting into an ABA school. However, as KJW says odds are against you for transferring do NOT go to a law school if you will be disappointed staying there all three years. You need to be in the top 10-20% of the class to transfer up and 100% of 1L's at Appalachian or any ABA school are convinced they will be in the top 10%, but 100% of people will not be in the top 10% and there is a 90% chance will not be in the top 10%.

If you want to go be a lawyer in Connecticut then I would strongly encourage you to retake the LSAT and go to Quinnipac or UConn. The odds of you being in the top 10% at Appalachian are much lower than you improving your LSAT score. Opposed to spend 40,000 and a year of your life to transfer to these schools spend 100 dollars to retake the LSAT if Connetticut is where you want to be a lawyer.

If you want to be a lawyer in Virginia then Appalachian might be fine.

Good luck

mycousinvinny13:
Thanks guys, re-taking is not an option since the February exam is tomorrow and it would be a waste to take off a whole year. I applied to St John's through their summer institute program and Seton Hall's leo program.

 

Maintain FL 350:

--- Quote from: mycousinvinny13 on February 08, 2013, 02:07:43 PM ---Thanks guys, re-taking is not an option since the February exam is tomorrow and it would be a waste to take off a whole year. 

--- End quote ---

I understand the desire to get started and not waste a year waiting for another shot at the LSAT. But consider this: postponing for one year is a lot less expensive and difficult than spending three years at a law school you aren't happy with. As the above posters have said, it's not easy to transfer, especially from a low-ranked school to a higher ranked school. You'd probably have to be in the top 10-20%, which is difficult to achieve.

Wherever you go to law school, whether it's Appalachian or UConn, you'll be competing for grades with smart, motivated, disciplined individuals. The slackers are gone, they never made it past the LSAT. If a few did manage to sneak in, they'll be gone after the first year. Getting high grades in law school is infinitely more difficult than getting high grades in college. If you begin at Appalachian, understand that you will almost certainly graduate from Appalachian. You will have tough time returning to CT, taking the CT bar, and searching for a job when you've been gone for three years.

OTOH, you probably have a very good chance of improving your score if you spend the next six months preparing. Bottom line: only go to a law school that you are prepared to graduate from.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version