Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I can't decide!  (Read 1700 times)

Anti09

• View Profile
Re: I can't decide!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 06:32:28 PM »
Fine, ranking past the T25 is almost completely irrelevant.  You touched on it when you said it's all about debt and location.  If you aren't going to a school with a portable name, your primary concerns should be debt, location, and placement statistics.  There are plenty of schools within the same market whose ranking doesn't correlate with job prospects - take FSU, a T2, which outperforms UF, a T1. 

My point is that too many people look at rankings and think they should choose a school outside of their desired market just because it's ranked higher.  That's a dangerous proposition when they realize that most schools don't have a portable name, hence the T25 cutoff (and that's generous).

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 10:24:24 PM »
Could not agree more the rankings hold some weight, but if someone wants to live in New York then go to law school in New York. Attending BYU even if it is a top 50 something school is not going to do you any favors getting a job in New York. You would honestly be better off attending New York Law School, Brooklyn, or another mid level school if you wanted to be in New York.

The same applies nationwide it is really quite simple go to law school in the location you want to live. Somehow 0L's make it so much more complicated than that and make life altering decisions based on a magazine.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 10:22:31 AM »
Could not agree more the rankings hold some weight, but if someone wants to live in New York then go to law school in New York. Attending BYU even if it is a top 50 something school is not going to do you any favors getting a job in New York. You would honestly be better off attending New York Law School, Brooklyn, or another mid level school if you wanted to be in New York.

The same applies nationwide it is really quite simple go to law school in the location you want to live. Somehow 0L's make it so much more complicated than that and make life altering decisions based on a magazine.

I agree with you in principle, but BYU specifically travels very well all over the place.  Those Mormons have a crazy strong network and hiring partners tend to love them.