Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Well... I did it.... I started school at NWCU-- online of course  (Read 2173 times)

calgal27

• View Profile
    • Email
Well... I did it.... I started school at NWCU-- online of course
« on: February 07, 2013, 05:56:55 PM »
I took the plunge and finally enrolled at NWCU.  While I thought I would be dishelved in trying to figure out how to manage the classes and the workload, I give them kudos for giving us a schedule to work with.  They break up the modules into 4 week intervals.  That is a good thing so you can always read ahead and see what is up next.  I already have the midterm.  There are cases to brief (of course) terminology to learn... and each subject has aboout 100+ words to know.  Their biggest goal is to get you ready for the baby bar which I do not think I am going to take.  I do not want to continue at NWCU after my first year, assuming I get through it.  I plan to transfer to a state school that does accept students who have taken their first year online.  I do not want to be a lawyer or practice law.  I will be 50 when I am done.  I just want to learn and do something else.

There are some good websites out there with free flashcards so I did get some of those.  They are uploaded by other students and you can get them for free.  I actually found some by a student at NWCU.

So, we will see how long I will last.  I want it to work out but I am not sure I can juggle all the work.  Torts and Criminal Law are not that difficult but Contracts will be the thorn in my side. 

DeltaBravoKS

• View Profile
Re: Well... I did it.... I started school at NWCU-- online of course
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 11:36:55 PM »
Good Luck!

Please keep us posted along the way if it isn't too much trouble.

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 12:43:14 AM »
Good luck one website that really helped me 1L was http://www.casebriefs.com/ just type in the case and it gives you a good analysis I would usually read this then read the textbook in the case it worked for me, but you fill figure out your own system.

One thing that also helped me were CALI lessons

Again good luck at NWCU it is not Harvard, but the law is the law.

If anyone says otherwise I always think this is a great quote

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor de

Marauder

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 06:56:32 PM »
What field are you going into that requires a law degree? 

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 08:23:42 PM »
Not sure how a transfer from an online school to a non online law school would work or if it is even possible?

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 11:23:19 AM »
Not sure how a transfer from an online school to a non online law school would work or if it is even possible?

I think some CBE schools will accept units from online schools that have at least some form of accreditation (probably DETC). ABA schools won't, that's for sure, but there might be a shot with the CBE schools.

calgal27

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 08:20:24 PM »
Well... I am 4 weeks into this adventure.  I have already completed all 3 quizzes.  I want to try and do the terminology assignment next.  The case briefs are easy for me since I have done them before and most of the cases we are reading are landmark cases which I have read in the past.

I can see already how hard it is going to be to juggle life and these courses.  We have to read all the casebooks, all the Gilbert Summary books, listen to all the cds which I have listened to Clancey twice but the Fleming's are very long.  The terminology assignment is massive for each class. 

I can do some of the work at the office since I really have nothing to do there, but once I get home... it is kids and eBay.  eBay takes up all the time once I get home until the time I go to bed. 

Sooo.... I will keep plugging along.   The first 4 weeks was spent to get familiar with the way things are done on the site.  So I am ahead of the game.

That is what is going on now. 

DeltaBravoKS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 09:21:45 AM »
Good luck, and thanks for the update.

calvinexpress

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 04:22:37 PM »
Can we please have another update? It's been a month since the last update? Your updates are very helpful to future online law school students such as myself.