Law Students > General Board

How freaking long .... ?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Mtm1980:
So all valid points -- of late I have given serious consideration as to where I would want to practice law - point well taken.  I thought I would give you guys an update.

Thomas Jefferson - Accepted/Scholarship
Florida A and M - Wait-list
U of Idaho - Wait-list
Texas Southern - Still Waiting
Florida Coastal - Still Waiting

jack24:

--- Quote from: Mtm1980 on February 14, 2013, 06:44:47 PM ---So all valid points -- of late I have given serious consideration as to where I would want to practice law - point well taken.  I thought I would give you guys an update.

U of Idaho - Wait-list

--- End quote ---

What a wacky group of schools.  How did you settle on those?  Fee waivers?  Or did something attract you to the markets?   The University of Idaho is different than the others, in my opinion.  There's less competition in Idaho, but it's a small market.   I personally like Boise a lot, and I think Idaho gives you a good shot at that market.   The Idaho campus is gorgeous, especially in the summer (I played at a jazz festival there once).

Honestly, if you get rejected/wait listed to Florida Coastal, I would be blown away.  That place threw me a $10k scholarship offer and I didn't even apply through LSAC.  It took them like a week to get back to me.  I applied free online for fun, and they never got my transcripts or anything.  They just saw my LSAT score and threw money at me.   I don't know if the school has improved since then (2007-2008 cycle) but it was a degree mill in the past.

I hope you know what you want to do with your life, and I hope you have reasonable expectations.

I don't mean to discourage you from going to law school, but the truth is I went to a great law school and did very well, I fought my ass off to get a law firm job and now I pretty much hate it.  I make 60% of the money of the class of 2008, and I have more debt.   It's hard for me to not be a little cynical.

livinglegend:
Every story is different OP.  I went to a mediocre ranked law school and did pretty well academically. I got a job right after getting bar results it wasn't high paying, but it was exactly what I wanted to be doing working as a City Attorney. I got to organize inspection/abatement warrants to take down drug houses, take down drug houses in litigation under the drug abatement act, and I never had to prosecute someone I just went after the properties civily. It was awesome I would go bust into places with Cops and I loved doing that stuff and being a lawyer.  Furthermore, I still do and do not regret my decision to go to law school or becoming a lawyer.

It sounds like Jack had a tougher time and I know plenty of people that had difficulty finding a job. I will say this go to law school if you really want to be a lawyer do not go if you think it is a quick way to get rich. Being a lawyer gives you power & a license to go to court and get things done, which I think is awesome, but I am not driving a beamer and probably never will be. It really is personal, but do not think being a lawyer is as high paying as T.V. makes it out to be only about 1-2% of people work for BigLaw firms and most of them hate it.

I really hate to see people be discouraged from being lawyers if it is what they want to do and there is so much negativity regarding law school, but I think that has a lot more to do with law students expecting things based on what U.S. News says about their school and people having unrealistic expectations as law students.

Bottom line if you really want to be a lawyer and know what that entails then go to law school. If you think law school sounds interesting and it is a quick way to get rich then you are going to be very disappointed.

Mtm1980:

--- Quote from: jack24 on February 15, 2013, 06:21:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: Mtm1980 on February 14, 2013, 06:44:47 PM ---So all valid points -- of late I have given serious consideration as to where I would want to practice law - point well taken.  I thought I would give you guys an update.

U of Idaho - Wait-list

--- End quote ---

What a wacky group of schools.  How did you settle on those?  Fee waivers?  Or did something attract you to the markets?   The University of Idaho is different than the others, in my opinion.  There's less competition in Idaho, but it's a small market.   I personally like Boise a lot, and I think Idaho gives you a good shot at that market.   The Idaho campus is gorgeous, especially in the summer (I played at a jazz festival there once).

Honestly, if you get rejected/wait listed to Florida Coastal, I would be blown away.  That place threw me a $10k scholarship offer and I didn't even apply through LSAC.  It took them like a week to get back to me.  I applied free online for fun, and they never got my transcripts or anything.  They just saw my LSAT score and threw money at me.   I don't know if the school has improved since then (2007-2008 cycle) but it was a degree mill in the past.

I hope you know what you want to do with your life, and I hope you have reasonable expectations.

I don't mean to discourage you from going to law school, but the truth is I went to a great law school and did very well, I fought my ass off to get a law firm job and now I pretty much hate it.  I make 60% of the money of the class of 2008, and I have more debt.   It's hard for me to not be a little cynical.

--- End quote ---

First, as far as location - I've been a resident of Colorado most of my life and I'm tired of winter, I want to go to law school where I would want to live - in this case a warmer location so ... that is why I chose Florida A and M ... Florida Costal .... Texas Southern ...  and Thomas Jefferson. Honestly, cost is my number one concern since I am not looking at a T14 and I NEVER want to work for big law.  That is also why I also applied in Idaho, I do have some family there and they have offered free room and board so that helps.  Also, I have been around people in the legal field most of my life and feel very strongly that I would enjoy the work.  Also, as far as how much money I might make ... I have been poor my whole life and I assure you that the idea of becoming rich not only seems unlikely to me but is certainly not the driving factor in my decision to study law ... in fact when it comes down to it ... I just like the subject and I do quite well when that's the case.  That having been said, you have also given me more to think about and consider and I appreciate that someone who has been in my shoes, and has made the decision to dedicate to the law would take the time to help advise me.

Mtm1980:

--- Quote from: livinglegend on February 16, 2013, 01:45:54 AM ---Every story is different OP.  I went to a mediocre ranked law school and did pretty well academically. I got a job right after getting bar results it wasn't high paying, but it was exactly what I wanted to be doing working as a City Attorney. I got to organize inspection/abatement warrants to take down drug houses, take down drug houses in litigation under the drug abatement act, and I never had to prosecute someone I just went after the properties civily. It was awesome I would go bust into places with Cops and I loved doing that stuff and being a lawyer.  Furthermore, I still do and do not regret my decision to go to law school or becoming a lawyer.

It sounds like Jack had a tougher time and I know plenty of people that had difficulty finding a job. I will say this go to law school if you really want to be a lawyer do not go if you think it is a quick way to get rich. Being a lawyer gives you power & a license to go to court and get things done, which I think is awesome, but I am not driving a beamer and probably never will be. It really is personal, but do not think being a lawyer is as high paying as T.V. makes it out to be only about 1-2% of people work for BigLaw firms and most of them hate it.

I really hate to see people be discouraged from being lawyers if it is what they want to do and there is so much negativity regarding law school, but I think that has a lot more to do with law students expecting things based on what U.S. News says about their school and people having unrealistic expectations as law students.

Bottom line if you really want to be a lawyer and know what that entails then go to law school. If you think law school sounds interesting and it is a quick way to get rich then you are going to be very disappointed.

--- End quote ---

It does seem that people generally speaking are either really really happy they went to law school or they hate it outright and wish they had never started.  I just like the subject, have been around and exposed to many people who work in the law and keeping my debt to a minimum is the biggest driving factor in deciding on a school for the exact reason you pointed out ... I have no grand illusions that I'm going to go to law school and then become some big-shot multi-millionaire.  However, having been poor my whole life I think I'm well adjusted to it and would do just fine a broke lawyer.  Romen Soup isan't too bad if you have enough hot sauce you know? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version