Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How freaking long .... ?  (Read 2003 times)

Mtm1980

• View Profile
How freaking long .... ?
« on: February 05, 2013, 02:43:49 PM »
Okay, so I submitted my applications in two days of steady work online for Fall '13 after retaking my LSAT and getting a better score since my GPA was only a 3.17 (Degree School 3.41) how long should it take to get a decision from the following schools since the applications all registered as "complete" on approximately 12/12/2012.

Florida Coastal
Florida A and M
Texas Southern
Thomas Jefferson
Idaho (On Stand-By Pool)

I feel like I'm getting to two months now and they're just waiting for better applicants ... thoughts?

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: How freaking long .... ?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 11:03:46 PM »
Well law school is a game of patience if you go to lawschoolnumbers.com you can see whether schools have started giving out acceptance letters or not. Many schools wait until March to admit anyone.

One thing to realize is that law school is a lot of waiting just like this after your first semester finals it usually takes 2 months to get your first semester grades, which if received might fail you out and it is quite stressful.  Then you get to take the bar and wait 4 months to find out if you passed (which is awful!).  Then once you are a lawyer it can take years to finally resolve a case so patience is something you need to learn I know I didn't have as a 0L myself, but just want to prepare you for that.

With your numbers you should get into most of these schools, but I have to ask why such differing locations Florida, Idaho, Texas, and California is a strange competition. I really think location should be your number one factor when choosing a law school, but that is just my two cents.

Mtm1980

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 11:33:47 PM »
Well law school is a game of patience if you go to lawschoolnumbers.com you can see whether schools have started giving out acceptance letters or not. Many schools wait until March to admit anyone.

One thing to realize is that law school is a lot of waiting just like this after your first semester finals it usually takes 2 months to get your first semester grades, which if received might fail you out and it is quite stressful.  Then you get to take the bar and wait 4 months to find out if you passed (which is awful!).  Then once you are a lawyer it can take years to finally resolve a case so patience is something you need to learn I know I didn't have as a 0L myself, but just want to prepare you for that.

With your numbers you should get into most of these schools, but I have to ask why such differing locations Florida, Idaho, Texas, and California is a strange competition. I really think location should be your number one factor when choosing a law school, but that is just my two cents.

Well the reason is because I am mobile, I have no family or misc. ties to any particular part of the country, I have also lived in CO for most of my life and want a different view out of my window. Additionally, with my numbers I'm a T3/T4 and since I'm not looking at a T14 I am completely convinced that I should be looking for the best financial option available.  I will surely settle where I go to school as I start to connect with others at my school.  Also, I know patience is not my strong suit but I have been looking at LSN as you suggested and all but Texas Southern is rolling admissions and has been sending out decisions for months which makes me wonder if I f'ed up somehow.

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 02:17:26 AM »
You probably didn't screw up and I imagine some acceptance letters will be coming your way. You are correct to do the best financial option, but I don't know you are aware there are several schools that offer in-state tuition which is very cheap I know CUNY, Florida International, South Dakota, North Dakota, and a few others I believe Idaho might be one charge only 10-12,000 per year just something to think about.

Some other things to think about are visit schools you are interested in each school has a culture to it and make sure you fit in with it. I did mock trials and was accepted to quite a few schools as a OL and there were some schools I really liked and others I hated, but those are my own personal opinions make sure the school is a fit for you.

Also as you appear to realize wherever you end up is likely where you will spend the rest of your life. The locations you mentioned are very different and if your an Ultra Liberal person I wouldn't recommend going to Texas Southern for example. Just really consider the different locations because law school does not exist in a vacuum for example if you go to Idaho you will be covered in Snow 6 months of the year, but you could be suntanning in Florida.

In the end I am sure you will be getting into some of these schools and I hope you choose the right one good luck to you.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 12:47:12 PM »
Attending schools of this caliber is fine, but really consider where you'd be most happy living and working. At smaller local schools such as these your best opportunities for post-grad employment will be within the school's immediate region. If you go to school in Idaho, for example, and then decide that Florida would be a nicer place to live, it's going to be tough to move.

I completely understand the financial concerns you have, and it's good that you're paying attention to debt (many people don't). Livinglegend has already said this, but it's important enough to repeat: choose a place where you wouldn't mind living longterm. It makes a huge difference in your overall wellbeing if you truly like your city and school. If you don't like either one, it's going to be a long three years. Good Luck!

Mtm1980

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 06:44:47 PM »
So all valid points -- of late I have given serious consideration as to where I would want to practice law - point well taken.  I thought I would give you guys an update.

Thomas Jefferson - Accepted/Scholarship
Florida A and M - Wait-list
U of Idaho - Wait-list
Texas Southern - Still Waiting
Florida Coastal - Still Waiting

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 06:21:44 PM »
So all valid points -- of late I have given serious consideration as to where I would want to practice law - point well taken.  I thought I would give you guys an update.

U of Idaho - Wait-list

What a wacky group of schools.  How did you settle on those?  Fee waivers?  Or did something attract you to the markets?   The University of Idaho is different than the others, in my opinion.  There's less competition in Idaho, but it's a small market.   I personally like Boise a lot, and I think Idaho gives you a good shot at that market.   The Idaho campus is gorgeous, especially in the summer (I played at a jazz festival there once).

Honestly, if you get rejected/wait listed to Florida Coastal, I would be blown away.  That place threw me a $10k scholarship offer and I didn't even apply through LSAC.  It took them like a week to get back to me.  I applied free online for fun, and they never got my transcripts or anything.  They just saw my LSAT score and threw money at me.   I don't know if the school has improved since then (2007-2008 cycle) but it was a degree mill in the past.

I hope you know what you want to do with your life, and I hope you have reasonable expectations.

I don't mean to discourage you from going to law school, but the truth is I went to a great law school and did very well, I fought my ass off to get a law firm job and now I pretty much hate it.  I make 60% of the money of the class of 2008, and I have more debt.   It's hard for me to not be a little cynical.

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 01:45:54 AM »
Every story is different OP.  I went to a mediocre ranked law school and did pretty well academically. I got a job right after getting bar results it wasn't high paying, but it was exactly what I wanted to be doing working as a City Attorney. I got to organize inspection/abatement warrants to take down drug houses, take down drug houses in litigation under the drug abatement act, and I never had to prosecute someone I just went after the properties civily. It was awesome I would go bust into places with Cops and I loved doing that stuff and being a lawyer.  Furthermore, I still do and do not regret my decision to go to law school or becoming a lawyer.

It sounds like Jack had a tougher time and I know plenty of people that had difficulty finding a job. I will say this go to law school if you really want to be a lawyer do not go if you think it is a quick way to get rich. Being a lawyer gives you power & a license to go to court and get things done, which I think is awesome, but I am not driving a beamer and probably never will be. It really is personal, but do not think being a lawyer is as high paying as T.V. makes it out to be only about 1-2% of people work for BigLaw firms and most of them hate it.

I really hate to see people be discouraged from being lawyers if it is what they want to do and there is so much negativity regarding law school, but I think that has a lot more to do with law students expecting things based on what U.S. News says about their school and people having unrealistic expectations as law students.

Bottom line if you really want to be a lawyer and know what that entails then go to law school. If you think law school sounds interesting and it is a quick way to get rich then you are going to be very disappointed.

Mtm1980

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 04:22:26 AM »

U of Idaho - Wait-list

What a wacky group of schools.  How did you settle on those?  Fee waivers?  Or did something attract you to the markets?   The University of Idaho is different than the others, in my opinion.  There's less competition in Idaho, but it's a small market.   I personally like Boise a lot, and I think Idaho gives you a good shot at that market.   The Idaho campus is gorgeous, especially in the summer (I played at a jazz festival there once).

Honestly, if you get rejected/wait listed to Florida Coastal, I would be blown away.  That place threw me a $10k scholarship offer and I didn't even apply through LSAC.  It took them like a week to get back to me.  I applied free online for fun, and they never got my transcripts or anything.  They just saw my LSAT score and threw money at me.   I don't know if the school has improved since then (2007-2008 cycle) but it was a degree mill in the past.

I hope you know what you want to do with your life, and I hope you have reasonable expectations.

I don't mean to discourage you from going to law school, but the truth is I went to a great law school and did very well, I fought my ass off to get a law firm job and now I pretty much hate it.  I make 60% of the money of the class of 2008, and I have more debt.   It's hard for me to not be a little cynical.

First, as far as location - I've been a resident of Colorado most of my life and I'm tired of winter, I want to go to law school where I would want to live - in this case a warmer location so ... that is why I chose Florida A and M ... Florida Costal .... Texas Southern ...  and Thomas Jefferson. Honestly, cost is my number one concern since I am not looking at a T14 and I NEVER want to work for big law.  That is also why I also applied in Idaho, I do have some family there and they have offered free room and board so that helps.  Also, I have been around people in the legal field most of my life and feel very strongly that I would enjoy the work.  Also, as far as how much money I might make ... I have been poor my whole life and I assure you that the idea of becoming rich not only seems unlikely to me but is certainly not the driving factor in my decision to study law ... in fact when it comes down to it ... I just like the subject and I do quite well when that's the case.  That having been said, you have also given me more to think about and consider and I appreciate that someone who has been in my shoes, and has made the decision to dedicate to the law would take the time to help advise me.

Mtm1980

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 04:26:53 AM »
Every story is different OP.  I went to a mediocre ranked law school and did pretty well academically. I got a job right after getting bar results it wasn't high paying, but it was exactly what I wanted to be doing working as a City Attorney. I got to organize inspection/abatement warrants to take down drug houses, take down drug houses in litigation under the drug abatement act, and I never had to prosecute someone I just went after the properties civily. It was awesome I would go bust into places with Cops and I loved doing that stuff and being a lawyer.  Furthermore, I still do and do not regret my decision to go to law school or becoming a lawyer.

It sounds like Jack had a tougher time and I know plenty of people that had difficulty finding a job. I will say this go to law school if you really want to be a lawyer do not go if you think it is a quick way to get rich. Being a lawyer gives you power & a license to go to court and get things done, which I think is awesome, but I am not driving a beamer and probably never will be. It really is personal, but do not think being a lawyer is as high paying as T.V. makes it out to be only about 1-2% of people work for BigLaw firms and most of them hate it.

I really hate to see people be discouraged from being lawyers if it is what they want to do and there is so much negativity regarding law school, but I think that has a lot more to do with law students expecting things based on what U.S. News says about their school and people having unrealistic expectations as law students.

Bottom line if you really want to be a lawyer and know what that entails then go to law school. If you think law school sounds interesting and it is a quick way to get rich then you are going to be very disappointed.

It does seem that people generally speaking are either really really happy they went to law school or they hate it outright and wish they had never started.  I just like the subject, have been around and exposed to many people who work in the law and keeping my debt to a minimum is the biggest driving factor in deciding on a school for the exact reason you pointed out ... I have no grand illusions that I'm going to go to law school and then become some big-shot multi-millionaire.  However, having been poor my whole life I think I'm well adjusted to it and would do just fine a broke lawyer.  Romen Soup isan't too bad if you have enough hot sauce you know?