Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Decisions-Decisions...<grumble>  (Read 833 times)

Bobnoxious

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - windmarkbob
    • View Profile
    • Email
Decisions-Decisions...<grumble>
« on: January 20, 2013, 12:22:49 AM »
I'm 46 years old. I'm in Memphis.

I can get into Memphis and not add a lot of debt over the 3 years; maybe an extra $35k over my undergrad loans. I can do this with minimal, if any, LSAT prep (but I *WILL* be studying and prepping).  Cold diagnostic (online) was 153 and I went -14 on logic games, -5 & -10 on LR, and -8 on RC.

I can bust my ass for 4-5 months and hypothetically/maybe score a 165-170 (maybe even a little higher), and combined with my projected gpa of 3.8 get some decent scholarship and with living expenses maybe be out an extra $75k over my undergrad loans.

When I graduate I'll be 51 years old. At this age does rank even matter considering how firms will likely ding me for being an old fart?

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Decisions-Decisions...<grumble>
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 02:25:13 PM »
On the bright side it looks like you have a focused in a single area.

It may well be worth your time to take a look at: Manhattan LSAT Logic Games Strategy Guide, 3rd Edition

Good Luck with whichever path you choose.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 02:07:24 PM »
I'm 46 years old. I'm in Memphis.

I can get into Memphis and not add a lot of debt over the 3 years; maybe an extra $35k over my undergrad loans. I can do this with minimal, if any, LSAT prep (but I *WILL* be studying and prepping).  Cold diagnostic (online) was 153 and I went -14 on logic games, -5 & -10 on LR, and -8 on RC.

I can bust my ass for 4-5 months and hypothetically/maybe score a 165-170 (maybe even a little higher), and combined with my projected gpa of 3.8 get some decent scholarship and with living expenses maybe be out an extra $75k over my undergrad loans.

When I graduate I'll be 51 years old. At this age does rank even matter considering how firms will likely ding me for being an old fart?

This really depends on what you'd like to do. And you probably don't know that yet.   I sincerely doubt you'll get over 170.  Why?  because only 2.6% of test takers get over 170. 

What schools would you be shooting for?   Let's say you get into WUSTL.  They are ranked pretty high and they have some good placement, but they don't offer a sure thing.    WUSTL at full price vs. Memphis with no Debt?  I'd say take Memphis.

I did very well at a school ranked around 50 at full price.  I was a law review editor, moot court guy, and top quarter of my class. (graduated in 2010)   The job search was brutal, but maybe things have changed now..   I passed up a full ride at a T3, and I really should have taken it.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 02:51:50 PM »
I did very well at a school ranked around 50 at full price.  I was a law review editor, moot court guy, and top quarter of my class. (graduated in 2010)   The job search was brutal, but maybe things have changed now..   I passed up a full ride at a T3, and I really should have taken it.

Anyone who is contemplating law school should read this quote, and really let it sink in. I have heard this so many times, from so many lawyers, it isn't even funny. I've even had people who graduated from schools like UCLA and Michigan tell me that they wish they had just accepted a full scholarship at a lower ranked school instead.

I really believe that the vast majority of students would be much better served by minimizing debt than by focusing on rankings. Even at well respected (but not necessarily elite) T1s, most graduates will not obtain high paying jobs right out of the gate. In many cases the job that a graduate of a non-elite T1 obtains is probably not significantly better paying than the job that a lower ranked grad obtains. A few years down the road the expensive degree is worth even less, as experience begins to outweigh pedigree.

For some jobs a higher ranked degree is required, but people should be realistic about their chances.

Bobnoxious

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 03:11:32 PM »
That answered that question...I'm going cheap!  Thank you all!

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 10:37:03 PM »
I think a lot of that advice is correct, but for now I woudl really focus on getting your LSAT Score and GPA in order. I am not sure how stringent Memphis is in admissions, but getting a 165-170 on the LSAT is not going to be a cakewalk. I would really focus on getting your LSAT Score and GPA to know what your options really are. If your numbers get you into Memphis then the above posters are right. Remember U.S. News is nothing more than a for-profit unregulated magazine offering an opinion.  I am a lawyer in California and I have absolutely no idea what Memphis is ranked furthermore I don't care to know there are a few schools that catch your attention i.e. Harvard, Stanford, Yale, but if a resume from Memphis or Michigan State or Florida International etc etc I wouldn't care I would look at the class rank, writing sample, work experience etc.

One other thing to realize is that education at every ABA school is essentially the same. Your first year will consist of Torts, Civil Procedure, Property, Contracts, and Criminal Law. Or they may give you Con Law and Criminal Procedure in your first year opposed to Criminal Law, but you will end up taking all those courses along with Evidence, Corporations, and Wills & Trusts. In those courses you will read Supreme Court Cases and the Supreme Court does not write separate opinions for Tier 1 v. Tier 3 law schools. Bottom line you learn the same thing and I wouldn't recommend moving cross country or paying 50-100k more to attend some school that is slightly better according to a magazine. 

Remember U.S. News ranks more than just law schools they also think New Mexico is the best place to live and South Dakota will be the best in 2032 (not making this up) here are the links http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/the-best-life/2012/08/07/here-are-the-best-places-to-livein-2032 and http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/real-estate/articles/2009/06/08/best-places-to-live-2009 . The U.S. News opinion makes me think New Mexico might be more interesting than I thought, but I am not packing my bags to move there because U.S. News said so. I highly recommend applying the same logic to selecting a law school. Good luck on the LSAT and law school in general.

Bobnoxious

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 11:52:31 PM »
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.  My gpa will be approximately 3.80 when I graduate and my cold LSAT diagnostic last week was a 153.  I'll have all the PowerScore books in by the end of the week and I signed up for a 4-5 week long PowerScore course that begins in April for the June test.  I'm confident that I can get up to the 162-164 mark just by learning the tricks to the darned logic games and getting more familiar with the types of LR questions.  Time will tell, though of course the goal is substantially higher than what I believe I can surely get with some hard, focused work.  Looks like it's gonna be Memphis even though it isn't even ranked.  However, after doing some web surfing and talking to some acquaintances, the law school at Memphis is thought of very highly in this market.  Again, thanks.