Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fordham asks for "additional law schools"?  (Read 1491 times)

BOYAN

• View Profile
Fordham asks for "additional law schools"?
« on: January 17, 2013, 09:42:39 AM »
Hi guys, I'm applying to Fordham, and there is blank asks to "Indicate the name of any law school to which you have applied in the past, are now applying to, or intend to apply to in the future."

What if I don't want to disclose such information to schools? Is it harmful? Thanks!

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Fordham asks for "additional law schools"?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 11:01:13 AM »
That's very common. Almost every law school I applied to asked for that info. I think they use it for statistical purposes; they want to see who their competition is, which schools applicants choose over them, etc.

Would it harm you to not provide the info? I don't know, probably not. Why not disclose it, though? What's the reason?

BOYAN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 11:17:02 AM »
I think they could know my application strategy and may reject me if they find I regard them as a safe school for yield rate protection?

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 06:49:30 PM »
I suppose that's possible, it seems unlikely.

Here's the deal: you're not the only person who's applying to Fordham as a backup, they get this all the time. Plenty of people who are hoping for NYU, Columbia, Cornell, etc will apply to Fordham and Cardozo as safeties. If your numbers are high enough to legitimately consider Fordham a safety, you'll probably get admitted regardless. I don't really think the adcomms strategize as much as you think they might.

BOYAN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 09:12:20 AM »
Thanks for your reply!

SlimCharles

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 03:17:01 PM »
Fordham is the 4th best school in NY (3rd best in like a 3 mile radius). They're used to being a Plan B. Honestly, I think it would reflect worse on you if Fordham was one of your top choices.

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 12:32:55 AM »
I personally law schools look as in depth as people suspect. They will look at your numbers, letters of rec, resume, personal statement, etc and realistically they are unlikely to review that in to much depth. The numbers determine law school admissions a few items on your application really won't make that big of a difference. Remember these people are reviewing thousands of applicants and realistically most of them look the same everyone graduated from college with good grades, showed up to the LSAT, got a professor or boss to write a letter, then some personal statement explaining what drew them to law school. After looking at thousands of those that essentially look the same they just go with the numbers.

As the above posters said that is a common question to ask, but I don't know how much of a difference it will make in your applications.

eric922

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 12:13:07 AM »
Honestly, I wouldn't' worry too much. NYC has Columbia, NYU, and Cornell feeding into it.  I'm pretty sure Fordham is used to not being people's first choice.