Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Two F's and a W ruined my chance at law school?  (Read 1524 times)

Mlou

• View Profile
    • Email
Two F's and a W ruined my chance at law school?
« on: January 10, 2013, 02:29:15 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm a junior at Texas A&M studying Environmental Studies. My sophomore year I was attending Lamar University while I  went through a personal rough patch. I ended up with two F's and a W over those two semesters. Of course I have retaken those courses and replaced them with A's and B's, bringing my GPA up to around a 3.3. I plan on it continuing to rise as I finish up, but my question is: Have I already 'screwed' myself? Will around a 3.5 and a good LSAT score get me into law school with these on my record? I understand the F's will count against me when law schools calculate my GPA, so I'm wondering if it would even be worth it to start preparing for the LSAT. The schools I plan on attending are either South Texas College of Law or the University of Houston.

Thanks a lot guys  :),

Marcus

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Two F's and a W ruined my chance at law school?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 02:46:33 AM »
According to Law School Predictor (http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com), you seem to have a solid chance at these schools.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 09:48:27 AM »
The Fs will hurt you mostly through your GPA. Ws aren't a problem as long as they're not excessive.

Mlou

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 12:48:23 PM »
The predictor doesn't take into account F's though, am I right?

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 01:59:40 PM »
Law school admissions isn't that through they will see an F it will not look good, but they care about the numbers and LSAT. If you want to right an addendum explaining the F you can, but with a 3.3 you can get into numerous schools with a decent LSAT score.

I got a D and a W one semester went to law school, graduated, passed the bar, etc and there was no rough patch I was just lazy as a 19 year old sophmore in college. I was accepted to numerous schools despite that my LSAT and overall GPA were sufficient to get admitted.

Certainly avoid F's and W's they will not help you, but your chances of getting into law school are not ruined.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 02:46:47 PM »
The predictor doesn't take into account F's though, am I right?

The predictor takes whatever numbers you give it. Your LSAC GPA will be lower than your university GPA it sounds like due to the Fs. LSAC counts your Fs whether they were repeated or not.

Mlou

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 06:41:57 PM »
Okay thanks guys.

To be honest, my undergraduate degree plan depends on whether I have a chance a law school or not. That's why I'm kind of freaking out.

Thanks again!

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 07:46:48 PM »
Okay thanks guys.

To be honest, my undergraduate degree plan depends on whether I have a chance a law school or not. That's why I'm kind of freaking out.

Thanks again!

Don't do anything in undergrad just for the sake of law school. Make sure your degree is valuable to you in its own right.

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 09:59:46 PM »
Groundhog is right on now do not make any academic decisions based on the potential of going to law school. Do the best you can and be involved as possible, but even if you finish up with straight A's if you score poorly on the LSAT you are not going or you may get a 180 on the LSAT, but decide law school is not for you. Get everything you can out of undergrad unlike med school etc there are no per-requistese courses for law school.  The bottom line is law schools really could care less what your major is they simply care about grades and being involved which you should do whether you are planning on attending law school or not.