Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Changing from engineering to law  (Read 533 times)

prashindia2008

• View Profile
    • Email
Changing from engineering to law
« on: January 09, 2013, 09:03:08 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am prashanth, an engineering undergrad from India. I'm in my senior year as of now and I am really thinking about going to law school. I was wondering if there was anyone who did the same thing, so that I could get an opinion from them about this. Anyone with any kind of idea about this, feel free to share your opinion.

What I wanted to know is that, whether I have to go through an undergrad program in law again or can I go through a postgraduate program right after my engineering degree ?
Also I would not mind knowing about the different streams available in law. I have heard a lot of people talking about patent law being a good choice for engineering students aspiring to be lawyers. Is that the only path that could be fruitful for me, after engineering ?
Lets say I am planning to start my law studies in the USA, will an engineering undergraduate degree(along with LSAT and TOEFL scores) suffice to secure an admission or should I work in a related field(say, as a paralegal or something else) before getting in ?
What could be a good option for a job for getting an idea about working in law ?
Because I don't want to take up something new and entirely mess up my career.
Thank You for going through my post.

And have a nice day.

Abraham Lincoln Uni.

• View Profile
    • http://www.alu.edu/
Re: Changing from engineering to law
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 01:34:28 PM »
Hi Prashanth!

I hope all is well.

Law schools do not require applicants to have a specific major when applying to their law schools. For instance, an applicant can major in biology, history, civil engineer, nursing and apply to any law school. Typically, law schools look at an applicant’s GPA, extra curricular activities, LSAT scores, letters of recommendation, and interview skills if an interview is part of the application process.

The study of law opens up many doors for students. Many students who have undergraduate degrees in medicine, pharmacy, gerontology, or nursing choose to study law and end up practicing workers compensation, personal injury, or medical malpractice. Since you are an engineering major, you can go into patent law, civil litigation, contract law, or any other area that you might find interesting. You are not limited to just one area and once you are in law school you might find other areas that interest you such as wills and trusts, constitutional law, corporate law and even property.

If you are specifically interested in coming to the USA., your undergraduate degree, LSAT, and TOEFL should suffice along with letters of recommendation and your personal statement. You do not need to work as a paralegal or legal assistant prior to being admitted. It also depends on what the specific law school you are interested in requires. You can always visit the websites of schools that you are interested in and look at their admission requirements if you would like further clarification.

In addition, you may always apply for internships opportunities in big to medium sized law firms or even intern or work for a solo practitioner if you want more exposure. Also, you may contact your local court house and ask if they have any volunteer or intern opportunities for you.

Wish you the best of luck!
Abraham Lincoln University
http://www.alu.edu/