Law Students > Transferring

Transferring v. Reapplying

(1/3) > >>

dima650:
I'm a 2L at a T4 school in California.  After the first year I finished in the top 10% of my class.  From what I've read online and on this forum it seems that unless you have a compelling story it's usually difficult to transfer upwards to a T3 or T2 school.  Just wondering if anyone has had any success by reapplying and starting at the new school as a 1L?

Thank You

kjw5029:

--- Quote from: dima650 on January 09, 2013, 12:15:50 AM ---I'm a 2L at a T4 school in California.  After the first year I finished in the top 10% of my class.  From what I've read online and on this forum it seems that unless you have a compelling story it's usually difficult to transfer upwards to a T3 or T2 school.  Just wondering if anyone has had any success by reapplying and starting at the new school as a 1L?

Thank You

--- End quote ---

I don't know who told you that.  That simply isn't true.  You need good grades and a good class rank (which you apparently have). 

livinglegend:
Yea I don't know where the information is coming from if your in the top 10% it is very easy to transfer up, but the question is should you? Aside from that it is January so your in the middle of your 2L year and I have only heard of transfers being accepted from 1L's who completed their first year, but once you start as a 2L it is done your option to transfer is gone.

A tier 2/3 school doesn't mean much either from the limited information you presented it sounds like you are putting far to much stock into U.S. News which is nothing more than a for-profit, unregulated, magazine offering an opinion. If you finished in the top 10% of your class at any ABA school you are likely to do fine and going to the 84th opposed to the 118th won't make any significant difference.

I am a lawyer and know that Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc are outstanding schools, but I could not tell you what the difference between Gonzaga or Wayne State was and I don't care they are both ABA schools and fine I wouldn't hire someone from Gonzaga  over a Wayne State gradue because it was 97th and Wayne State was 118th I would interview them, see their transcripts, writing sample, etc.

Startng over as 1L sounds like a terrible idea on any law school application you would have to disclsoe you attended law school and your reason for dropping out would be my schools U.S. News Ranking was not high enough? An admissiosn committe woudl think you had serious problem not to mention retaking your 1L woudl give you a tremendous advantage over the rest of the incoming class at whatever school you attended.

Conclusion
I think your putting way to much stock into U.S. News if you graduate from an ABA school and pass the bar you will have some options. You can drop out and let the dream of being a lawyer die, try transfering but going to a Tier 2/3 over a Tier 4 is not going to automatically grant you numerous options at graduation.

Groundhog:
I think the reason the OP heard it was difficult was because even top grades from a lower-ranked school won't help if your LSAT isn't up to snuff or they don't need more people. Law schools accept very few transfers, usually only to replace people they lost through attrition or transfers out.

kjw5029:

--- Quote from: Groundhog on January 11, 2013, 12:04:21 AM ---I think the reason the OP heard it was difficult was because even top grades from a lower-ranked school won't help if your LSAT isn't up to snuff or they don't need more people. Law schools accept very few transfers, usually only to replace people they lost through attrition or transfers out.

--- End quote ---

Maybe.  My LSAT wasn't very good and I still transferred up multiple tiers.  I started at a tier 4 as well.  I don't think LSAT grades are very important for transferring.  Easily the most important are grades and class rank.  Though I definitely agree about the attrition / transfers out. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version