Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Almost no softs, did I shoot myself in the foot?  (Read 697 times)

eric922

• View Profile
    • Email
Almost no softs, did I shoot myself in the foot?
« on: January 08, 2013, 10:56:39 PM »
I really don't have any softs to put on my application.  I have some work experience, but only fast food, grocery story and working for my parent's PI office which does work investigation for defense attorneys in my area.  Other than that I really don't have anything.  I'm never been big on joining clubs simply because I'm not the most social person.  The SGA at my school is pretty much a fraternity thing and I have neither the money nor the desire to be part of that.  The only club I've really been a part of is a campus activist club.  We basically would work with the campus union, go to their meetings and if they were having a rally or demonstration we would support them, but I'm not sure if law schools would look fondly on that or not.  So, I'm just kind of worried my lack of decent softs could hurt me

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Almost no softs, did I shoot myself in the foot?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 11:44:25 PM »
I really don't have any softs to put on my application.  I have some work experience, but only fast food, grocery story and working for my parent's PI office...
Sounds like you have something to put down to me. If you've done some club work, put it down. If you had to work for money to pay for school, many law school applications will accept a socioeconomic statement stating you had to work through school.

Bottom line is, make your resume professional with your part time jobs and list a few activities and you shouldn't get any raised eyebrows. Not everyone can be student body president, nor is that necessarily what law schools are looking for in everyone.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 02:44:30 PM »
I really don't have any softs to put on my application.  I have some work experience, but only fast food, grocery story and working for my parent's PI office which does work investigation for defense attorneys in my area.  Other than that I really don't have anything.  I'm never been big on joining clubs simply because I'm not the most social person.  The SGA at my school is pretty much a fraternity thing and I have neither the money nor the desire to be part of that.  The only club I've really been a part of is a campus activist club.  We basically would work with the campus union, go to their meetings and if they were having a rally or demonstration we would support them, but I'm not sure if law schools would look fondly on that or not.  So, I'm just kind of worried my lack of decent softs could hurt me

The general rule is that softs will only be used as a tie breaker.    What is your LSAT GPA range?   If you are trying to get into Harvard or Yale, I have no advice for you, but if you are looking at schools ranked from 15-100, don't worry too much.   As Groundhog said, make your resume look professional and get some good letters of recommendation.   I've had three admissions officers at law school tell me softs don't make a difference unless they are somewhat unique (i.e., NCAA Athlete, Olympian, Staffer for a Politician or Ambassador, etc)

eric922

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 05:27:18 PM »

The general rule is that softs will only be used as a tie breaker.    What is your LSAT GPA range?   If you are trying to get into Harvard or Yale, I have no advice for you, but if you are looking at schools ranked from 15-100, don't worry too much.   As Groundhog said, make your resume look professional and get some good letters of recommendation.   I've had three admissions officers at law school tell me softs don't make a difference unless they are somewhat unique (i.e., NCAA Athlete, Olympian, Staffer for a Politician or Ambassador, etc)

Well my range really depends on my LSAT score.  My GPA will be around a 3.3-3.4.  I'm trying to get to at least a 170 on the LSAT.  I'm testing in the 160's right so I don't know if I will get there or not.  But if I do my ranger will be the top 20 not including Harvard, Yale, Standford, or Berkley(since I've heard they aren't very spilter friendly.)