Specific Groups / Issues > Non-Traditional Students

Am I too old for law?

(1/2) > >>

fzc23:
I am a 37 year old wondering if I have the time necessary not only complete a degree in law, but do so in a manner that secures me a position which would successfully pay off my debt within a time frame which would allow me to live on some of the money I earn.  I have a 3.6 GPA in Economics.  I have not taken the LSAT.  Is it worth it?  No family.  Just me in need of a career change.  All and any input is appreciated. 

Cher1300:
I just turned 43 and am in my second year of law school part-time evenings and work full-time during the day.  One of the people in my study group is over 50, works full time and did well enough to be on law review and moot court.  I really think one is never too old, but be realistic about the fact that it will take you a while to get in the habit of studying again especially being out of school for so long.  If you do well enough on the LSAT or can work part-time to keep your debt manageable, it will be worth it.  Graduating at 40 or 41, you still have about 25 years to work and pay off any debt you incur.  Lastly, most schools are looking for a diverse student body and will welcome an older student with life experience.  Good luck with whatever you decide! 

jack24:

--- Quote from: fzc23 on January 07, 2013, 11:36:44 PM ---I am a 37 year old wondering if I have the time necessary not only complete a degree in law, but do so in a manner that secures me a position which would successfully pay off my debt within a time frame which would allow me to live on some of the money I earn.  I have a 3.6 GPA in Economics.  I have not taken the LSAT.  Is it worth it?  No family.  Just me in need of a career change.  All and any input is appreciated.

--- End quote ---

I think you should clarify your question a little.   What type of law would you like to practice?  What size firm/organization?  How much money do reasonably expect to make?
 If you do well on the LSAT and don't go into a lot of debt, then "time" isn't really an issue

If you were gunning to work at a large law firm, you would be wise to talk to some biglaw lawyers.  I've heard that it is difficult for older people to get into internships with large firms (and some government agencies).    But if you'd like to get a license and start your own practice, I don't think age is a significant factor.

jonlevy:
3 years of law school plus another 6 months studying for the bar is a lifestyle change not a career change.  Job prospects are not the best these days; you may want to research other possibilities that require maybe 18 months and yield a quick Masters degree.

Griffin:
I am in a similar situation, wondering about my age. Here are the details:

I decided I wanted to go to Law School at age 28, but have not yet finished a bachelors degree. Went back to College, pulled my GPA from the pathetic grade it was to a 3.49. As a sophomore, I ran out of personal funds to be able to pay for college, was denied a Pell Grant, and refused to take out student loans and bury myself in debt, so I joined the Army and became an interrogator in order to take advantage of the Post 9/11 GI Bill and the Texas Hazlewood Act (Provides for a Public College education up to your Doctorate Degree or 150 Hours, which ever comes first). I am currently attending Wayland Baptist University in San Antonio pursuing a degree in Justice Administration. I will be finished in about a year and a half. I am now 31 and will be discharged from Active Duty in January of 2015. If I finish on time this gives me about 6 months to study for the LSAT without any college distractions, ETS from the Army in January and begin attending Law School. My overall goal is to become a prosecutor.

There are three Law schools I am considering attending, in oder of choice: Baylor, UT Law, UH Law, and South Texas College of Law. I realize two of them are private but they are Yellow Ribbon Schools and my GI Bill will take me through Law school with them.

My questions is, what advice would you more experienced, or anyone with advice that would help, give to me in my current situation?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version