Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Common Law v. Civil Law  (Read 10932 times)

NavyLaw2016

• View Profile
    • Email
Common Law v. Civil Law
« on: January 06, 2013, 10:28:04 PM »
Tulane is awesome in that you can study the civil code which is used in Europe and the Middle East moreso than common law. That said, I will take contracts I...but what's important about Contracts II (because I would prefer to take Obligations I (civil course)).

Also, common law property versus civil law property. I hear property sucks most of all 1L courses so of the two, which is easier/more interesting/more fun?

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Common Law v. Civil Law
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 11:45:03 AM »
Keep in mind that if you plan to take the bar in any state other than LA, you will be tested on common law. Your decision depends on where you plan to take the bar(s).

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 05:14:52 PM »
Indeed Louisiana has a very unique bar exam unlike anything I have ever seen they even tell you what subjects will be tested on which day and they do not use the MBE i.e. Multiple Choice questions which every other state uses. Therefore, I imagine they will not require you to do multiple choice questions, which if you plan on taking the bar in another state may have a big impact on you

Bottom line if Louisiana is where you want to be other schools will not prepare you for the Louisana bar that well and if you plan on going somewhere other than Louisiana it will probably be a disadvantage. As you can see Tulane had a 59% bar passage rate in California http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/4/documents/gbx/JULY2012STATS.122112_R.pdf

Tulane is still an ABA school so there will be many similarities, but based on Louisiana's unique legal system it will likely be a little harder to take another bar exam just something to think about.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 12:09:28 PM »
The differences really are not that huge.  If you can understand civil law, you can understand common law.  Many civil law educated attorneys practice in common law England with no problems under the EU rules.  I think the difference is overhyped.  Same thing with the big todo about community property states.