Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mid-career professional thinking about attending a correspondence school  (Read 1777 times)

Harrmon

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mid-career professional thinking about attending a correspondence school
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 02:52:12 PM »
Thanks, LivingLegend.  While I would not be able to practice law in Texas with a correspondence degree, I work professionally in government relations, and so I already am involved in writing legislation or proposed regulations across many states, including California.  Having the credentials of a J.D. and licensed attorney can be professionally helpful, and in my particular circumstance, not many people will care to notice where my law degree came from.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mid-career professional thinking about attending a correspondence school
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 07:14:30 PM »
Good point; if you are not in California or plan to be, why go through Hell for a license you cannot use? Correspondence students especially need to learn on the job; passing the bar gives you a license to practice or commit malpractice.  Bragging rights? Most people hate lawyers and would rather do anything else than pay one. Don't expect any gratitude either from your clients. These days there is little civility among lawyers, many are ethically challenged and competition for business is cut throat. Too many underemployed lawyers with student loans to pay off thanks to the ABA law schools churning them out.