Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: High GPA, online college, low LSAT...should retake?  (Read 935 times)

Sunshine23

• View Profile
    • Email
High GPA, online college, low LSAT...should retake?
« on: January 02, 2013, 08:17:19 PM »
My son, has just bombed the LSAT. He did not study much, like 7 or 8 days, and then was not well rested and had a headache when he took it. Not hung over, he doesn't drink. His GPA is 3.89 at Liberty University. I told him he needed to take it again and not beat himself up over it. What do you think?

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: High GPA, online college, low LSAT...should retake?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 08:50:21 PM »
What do you mean by "bombed"? What was his actual score?

The decision of whether or not to retake should be based on whether the taker has reason to believe they can do better. If he only studied for a week, he can probably improve.

My question would be this: if you have a 3.89 GPA, you clearly understand the value of studying. Why, then, did you blow off the LSAT? Does he actually want to go to law school?

Sunshine23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
Thank you for replying. His score was a 146. He was taking 18 credit hours Fall Semester and was trying to work. He does value studying but usually he is just good at school. It comes easy. I am afraid that may have been a detriment to this. Yes, he really wants to go, and is beating himself up for being so slack in studying. He is an Eagle Scout, started working at age 12 selling shrimp for his Dad and has continued since then, he also started his own business of Political Consulting at age 19, representing Congressmen, Senators, Representatives and a Public Service Commissioner. He won all races. He has turned down 9 campaigns this year, including another Congressman, a Gubernatorial Candidate and 2 Presidential Candidates. He withdrew from one Presidential campaign in 2011. All while doing school full time. I think he just didn't study enough and was too nervous. It is such a serious test. So, he may be able to raise his scores?

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 11:06:11 PM »
He can probably raise his score, but he could still get into a few ABA schools with 3.8/146. However, the LSAT is a joke compared to law school finals and then of course the bar exam. The LSAT is difficult, but your son score in about the top 50% of test takers and most people do not get 170. Everybody starts out thinking they will be going to a T14 school, but if it were that easy everyone would do it.

He should certainly retake and most schools only take your highest score so it won't be a big deal, but any potential LSAT taker should be ready to not get a 180.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 11:47:32 PM »
As there's little penalty for re-taking the LSAT, he definitely should, and give it 3-6 months of serious study time.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 12:03:06 AM »
I agree with the above posters. Since there is no real penalty for retaking the test, he's got nothing to lose. I'd advise taking a prep course if possible, and treating the LSAT like a job: be absolutely disciplined, follow a routine, and don't procrastinate. The LSAT is a weird test, but it is learnable if you can put in the time to figure it out. I think he probably stands an excellent chance of improving his score.

BTW, I thought Liberty University was a traditional brick & mortar school? Do they also offer an online degree?

SlimCharles

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 12:12:59 AM »
Low LSAT with a high GPA from an online school is going to raise a huge red flag on the quality of the academic program. If you come from a less-than-notable undergrad, your GPA is meaningless unless your LSAT backs it up. He should block-out some serious time to focus on studying to retake the exam.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 03:40:47 AM »
I don't think it will raise a red flag so much as not be looked at vs. someone who has a high LSAT. The fact is that both a reasonably high GPA and LSAT are necessary, but not sufficient conditions to gain admission to top law schools. Certainly someone with a 4.0 from a top school will be more competitive than someone with a 4.0 from an online school if they have the same LSAT, but this would probably only matter in a borderline situation as long as the online school is accredited by the appropriate regional institution.

In any event, if this Liberty online is affiliated with the brick and mortar institution, there is a possibility there will be enough people who applied to law school from Liberty that their grading trends and LSAT scores will be reported in the CAS report. That will tell you the institution's average LSAT and approximately what percentile an applicant's GPA is.