Law Students > General Board

JD vs. MJ

(1/2) > >>

Steeler-Fan:
I'm looking for some good advise here...

I've always had the dream of being an attorney, but I ended up choosing civil engineering as a career path. The longer I'm in my current field the more unhappy I've become. Well, needless to say the only way to fix that is making a career change.

My question is, what can I do with an MJ (masters of juriprudence) in the legal field?

Thanks in advance for any and/or all information.

Maintain FL 350:
Well, I'm not exactly sure what you'd do with an engineering degree and an M.A. in jurisprudence. I'm not trying to be overly negative, but I don't think many jobs are looking for that unusual combination.

I'll tell you what you can't do: practice law. Most jurisdictions require a J.D. in order to be eligible to take the bar exam (California has a few unique exceptions). Most of the higher paying jobs in the legal field (those equivalent to what you probably already make as an engineer) are going to require a J.D. and bar membership.

Something like an M.A. in jurisprudence might help with landing job in law enforcement or as a paralegal, but even then some field-specific experience is going to be required (paralegals get trained and licensed, law enforcement go to the academy, etc). Personally, I wouldn't care one whit if a paralegal had an M.A. (or even a B.A.), as long as they had experience and good references. I suspect most employers wouldn't care, either. It's also possible that the degree has some academic value if you wanted to teach, but you'd still need a J.D. regardless.

Frankly, I'm suspicious of degrees like the M.A. in jurisprudence. I think they're primarily vanity degrees, which is fine if you have the time and money and want to hang another degree on the wall. I think the potential real world benefits of such a degree, however, accrue to very few people. Bottom line, if you're willing to spend two years and a bunch of money on an M.A. you might want to go for the gold and get a J.D. It is much more difficult, expensive and time consuming, but the payoff is better. With you engineering background you can do patent law, a very lucrative field. 

Steeler-Fan:
Sorry, I may have explained the incorrectly... I'm looking to change my career, not try to utilize a MJ in engineering.

I was looking for alternatived to naot have to dish out 100k+ for a JD degree. I'm aware that a MJ degree won't allow me to practice and/or be licensed, but I was more less wondering what I can do with it in the legal industry.

Thanks,

Julie Fern:
fundamental error here:  you steelers fan.  until that change...

livinglegend:
If your dream is to be a lawyer then there is only one way to do it and that is by getting a J.D. and passing the bar. I am a practing lawyer and I honestly don't know what an M.J is I just googled it and it appears to be a degree dealing with health regulations. Perhaps this could help you land some administrator job at a hospital, but it will not allow you to represent clients in court.

Your post says you dream of being a lawyer and there is only one way to do that get a J.D. If you have any questions about law school admissions, what to expect in law school, etc there are some helpful posters on this site.

One thing I noticed was your concern regarding money and what I would recommend doing is taking the LSAT which costs $100 or so if you do really well many schools will offer you a substantial scholarship. I didn't break any records on the LSAT personally, but I received a half-tuition scholarship and they are not uncommon depending on your GPA/LSAT combination. You can get a sense of the scholarship amounts at law schools throughout the country on lawschoolnumbers.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version