Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: California to tighten bar admission rules?  (Read 4288 times)

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: California to tighten bar admission rules?
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 12:33:23 PM »
You made the right move. For a difference of 30K the ABA degree is worth it. I'm actually surprised at how expensive the CBE schools have become. One of their major selling points was that were so much cheaper than the ABA schools, but at many you'll now spend 60K+ on a J.D. Although that's still less expensive than the ABA schools' absurd prices, it's still expensive considering the inherent limitations of the degree. They're going to price themselves out of business if they're not careful. 

CA Law Dean

• Yes . . . law school is intentionally challenging.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 11:56:10 AM »
I agree that it sounds like you made the right choice. That said, you need to take all of your remaining bar-tested subjects with the attitude that every single one of them are now part of your extended bar preparation program. You cannot rely on the false illusion that the bar prep course will fill in the "holes" on courses that you receive sub-par grades. I also highly recommend that you look ahead to the schedule for Bar Bri's early start program that provides extra time. Our experience is that non-traditional working students cannot get through enough of the Bar Bri "cram" course AND do enough graded practice exams and MBEs to be adequately prepared for the California bar exam.

Good luck. 
Monterey College of Law
www.montereylaw.edu

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 04:39:31 PM »
Agree with CA Law Dean entirely. I took the NY bar while working, but I started the course months before I was supposed to. Remember BarBri is scheduled for recent law grads whose sole responsibility is studying for the bar and if your working there is no way you can keep up with the schedule.

I also would advise anyone studying for the bar to not work if it all possible. It is all consuming and if you don't give it your full attention you will likely spend a substantial amount of time only to not pass the exam. Plenty of people have passed without adequate preparation, but I know plenty of people  that worked while studying and never passed.

I think the perfect example of this is found in the movie Lawyer Walks into a Bar a documentary about several people taking the bar. One a part-time student at Western State who kept working and studying for the bar and failed 41 times and still never passed. I imagine he is intelligent enough to pass, but he needs a full-time commitment and by doing it half assed he has wasted 20 years of his life on that exam.

Just my two cents though.

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 09:36:30 PM »
I absolutely agree!  I just quit my job and will be focusing on school and internships for the fall.  My company's legal department is allowing me to intern with them and I am already registered with Barbri and getting outlines, etc.  Even if I was working full time, I would have requested a leave of absence for the bar exam because I know I'll be freaking out and don't want to take it 41 times.  I think once you've failed about 5 times, it's probably a self-fulfilling prophecy.  The guy probably didn't want to quit his job because he felt he probably wouldn't pass and then he'd have no job, etc.  How awful.

As far as my sub-par grade it was related to my dad being sick.  I had done really well on my midterms and thought it would be a great semester.  I had no idea how much a personal issue could affect your grades.  Anyhow, I managed to pull it together for the other two, but it was not a good semester.  Thanks for the insight though - it's greatly appreciated.